Skip to main content
Topic: new old stock fun (Read 1801 times) previous topic - next topic

new old stock fun

Being surprised that this ebay listing went up so high, considering AM is selling reproductions for $40/set, I looked at the description again. All seemed fine until the picture. Take a close look. Whoever the top bidder is, they're going to be in for a surprise when someone tries to use the power windows.

Or did a model have 'backwards' controls from what I'm used to in my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-Bird-Thunderbird-85-86-87-Center-switch-plate-NOS_W0QQitemZ160035405016QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50459QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1988 Thunderbird Sport

new old stock fun

Reply #1
That's not backwards.. that's correct.. the question is, what do YOU have in your car? ;)

new old stock fun

Reply #2
Ya, they made 'em both ways. My car is "pull down, push up" but the console plate says "push down, pull up". We actually had a thread about this once...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

new old stock fun

Reply #3
It just depends on how you orient the switches when you put the plate on. My power mirror controls are backwards and upside down, lol.

I need one of those plates for my 87 (some of the tabs are busted off and I had to re-paint it)... But at $132 I guess some people need one a lot worse than I do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

new old stock fun

Reply #4
It just depends on how you orient the switches when you put the plate on.

Well...no...there is definitely a wiring difference for each switch. The convertible (1986) was originally "push forward, window goes down". I had to rewire it so that it's "push forward, window goes up". The grey wiring plate onto which the power window switch mounts can only be screwed to the console plate one way. You can't just flip it over, even though it looks like you can.

So true about the Aerobird plates...then again, I've been known to spend ridiculous money on NOS parts I'll never use, just to have them. To each his own. :)

new old stock fun

Reply #5
how did you even notice that? the windows on the one for sale is reverse from the one in my cougar, but i never would have noticed that if u didnt say something about it.  good eye you got there
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

new old stock fun

Reply #6
Quote from: EricCoolCats;106265
Well...no...there is definitely a wiring difference for each switch. The convertible (1986) was originally "push forward, window goes down". I had to rewire it so that it's "push forward, window goes up". The grey wiring plate onto which the power window switch mounts can only be screwed to the console plate one way. You can't just flip it over, even though it looks like you can.:)

Interesting, I guess it is just the power mirror switch that can be turned around any which way... I stand corrected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

new old stock fun

Reply #7
If you flipped the switch then your driver window and passenger window would be on the wrong side.. and that is sure to stand out.

Now no one else has noticed that panel would have not fit his 85.  85's had glue down panels and not tabbed panels.
One 88

new old stock fun

Reply #8
I posted a pic of an '85 part that had a tabbed panel :D

*EDIT* Here's the thread http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=9382
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

new old stock fun

Reply #9
Quote from: baXo;106246
That's not backwards.. that's correct.. the question is, what do YOU have in your car? ;)

Same as whats on AM's site
1988 Thunderbird Sport

new old stock fun

Reply #10
I love the how ford did the reverese thing on the switches.  People get in my car and can't figure out how roll the window down or up.  I thought all tbirds/coug's were push down roll up.  They actually made some correctly or did people get pissed and rewire them?

tc
1986 Mercury Cougar -- Midnight Wine and Taupe  ($1700) in 1999 w/ 103,000 miles.  Now with a motor from an 87 with 54K on it.
1988 Mercury Cougar -- Light Sandlewood Metalic  ($40)  in 2003 with 111,000 miles.  Needs a fender, some welding and a good tune up.  Possibly my next daily if i ever get it to the shop.
1991 GMC Sonoma, My $50 daily driver.

new old stock fun

Reply #12
The difference in the switches lies within the difference between a full console and consolette, I thought.

new old stock fun

Reply #13
kinda looks that way, but i dont think Ford made it that easy, or we are looking to hard
1986 Cougar LS

new old stock fun

Reply #14
Quote from: Ifixyawata;106334
The difference in the switches lies within the difference between a full console and consolette, I thought.

That's what I had thought, too, until I took my parts TC switch and compared it to my car. My car originally had the consolette, and the TC had the console of course, and both switches and wiring were identical. The difference is in the thing the switch attaches to, not the switch itself, right? Well if that were the case, mounting my switch to the TC console plate should have resulted in the correct orientation if the switches were all the same. Somewhere, for some reason, Ford did it differently for certain cars.