Skip to main content
Topic: LX VS sport? (Read 3022 times) previous topic - next topic

LX VS sport?

what is the difference between the lx and the sportcoupe?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

LX VS sport?

Reply #1
The LX is more geared toward luxury while the Sport is more toward, well, sport :hick: The Sport has a floor shifter, heavy sway bars, traction-lock rear end, full digital (87) or buttstuffogue (88) dash, TC seats (88 only), thicker sway bars, stiffer springs, 10" drums, etc. The LX has thicker carpeting, more luxurious seat coverings, and usually are fully loaded. Oh, and the Sport is V8 only while the LX can be V6 or V8

The LX is identified by a serial number starting with 1FABP62, while the Sport starts out 1FABP61. A base has 1FABP60 and a TC is 1FABP64
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

LX VS sport?

Reply #2
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;105701
The LX is identified by a serial number starting with 1FABP62, while the Sport starts out 1FABP61. A base has 1FABP60 and a TC is 1FABP64

what happened to 1FABP63?
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

LX VS sport?

Reply #3
HMm i checked mine and it fits the base model, but it has many options on it which makes me think it really is an LX..i have all origional dospoogeentation..maybe i should check it lol
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

LX VS sport?

Reply #4
so the sports are faster?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

LX VS sport?

Reply #5
Vantage, my first '88 was an LX, and my white one in my sig is an '88 Base, but both optioned identically.

And yeah, any sport will be quicker than a V6 car, and maybe a a teenie tiny bit faster than an LX v8...then again, maybe not...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

LX VS sport?

Reply #6
Well, assuming you had a Sport Vs. A v6 LX, yes, it would be faster, but if both cars came with the 5.0, performance wise they would be identical.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

LX VS sport?

Reply #7
the sport is faster. its probley because its a bit lighter (depending on options), or it just feels faster  with the trac lock and better swaybars ect. my lx wasnt bad, but man... when i went into a turn with it, it was like a boat lol.  my sport came with fewer options and the tloc still worked so it got better traction when i stomped on it.

LX VS sport?

Reply #8
Quote from: grutinator;105703
what happened to 1FABP63?

63 wasn't used (at least not for these cars). 83-86 models were 46 though...

Sports, LX's and Base models all had identical power trains (as far as 5.0 versions are concerned). I believe that all Sports had the 3.08 rear as compared to the 2.73 standard rear in base/LX 5.0 cars, but 3.08's were optional in those, so one can't really call a Sport "faster".  They may be (slightly) lighter than an LX but would likely be (slightly) heavier than a base - it all depends on the options the particular car had. A base could be optioned up just as high as an LX, and a Sport could be stripped down to base levels.

Of course, as Nate said, the Sport would be faster through turns because of its better handling.

Really, the only model that could definitively be considered "faster" would be the TC...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

LX VS sport?

Reply #9
so is a tc faster then a 5.0 tbird?

LX VS sport?

Reply #10
No.

(sarcasm)

yeah, an '87-'88 TC with a T5 is for sure faster than any stock V8 '87-'88 Tbird.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

LX VS sport?

Reply #11
Where would a fila fall into this. Somewhere around a sport because of my 5,0 or the lx because of the non-track lock? Just wonderin...

LX VS sport?

Reply #12
hey, there is a fila at my school. it has a single exhaust. and thats all i know about it. what makes it a fila? did the shoe company just put there name on it. or does it mean something?

LX VS sport?

Reply #13
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;105870

yeah, an '87-'88 TC with a T5 is for sure faster than any stock V8 '87-'88 Tbird.

i have trouble really getting this, i kno thier lighter and turbo'd and ive never really seen one race, but the idea of a 2.3 turbo pushing my car down the track WAY faster is hard for me to believe, i might be able to see a little bit faster, just cus of weight...but then again ive always been a V8 only kinda guy
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

LX VS sport?

Reply #14
The 87-88 TC had almost 25% more power, a 5-speed (well, the good ones) and better gears (3.55 vs 3.08). Definitely faster than a stock 5.0 Bird or Coug. I dunno about lighter, though - the 5.0 might have a heavier engine but the TC had a heavier rear end, bigger (and thus heavier) brakes & sway bars, more wiring, more electronics, thicker insulation & carpeting, and most had more options. If they are lighter it ain't by much.

Fila: All 83-86 Birds and Cougs shared the body code of 46, be they TC, XR7, Fila, Elan, LS, GS, or whatever. The 5.0 was available in everything except the TC and XR7, so that wouldn't make it a Sport. The traction-lock rear end was actually optional in all of 'em too (and this includes 87-88 models as well) though few had the option. Since the Fila was generally heavily optioned and had an uplevel interior I'd compare it more to the LX (in fact I think the LX model actually replaced the Fila in '87).