Skip to main content
Topic: Complete Mustang Exhaust System? (Read 918 times) previous topic - next topic

Complete Mustang Exhaust System?

A buddy of mine has a 2.5 inch exhaust system that he parted out off a 92 Lx 5.0 stang, I am curious if any of it will work or even maybe bolt up to an 87 5.0 bird? I already have the 5.0 HO headers, its complete from just off the headers to the tailpipes including the 02 sensors. Any advise would be appreciated...I hope so because he is selling it dirt cheap. See attached pic.

Reply #1
You should be able to make it work.

You will need to lengthen the tubes before the lers and extend the tail pipe tips.  There might be some fitment issues with the tailpipes around the gas tank, etc.  I know it's tight on some of the 87-88's.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
You may have two problems but are easily fixed.

1: the distance from the end of the H to the front of the lers may need to be longers

2: the exhaust tips are most likely too short but can be streched.

So if you can do some exhaust work you should be able to make it fit.

Reply #3
No cats! hmmm. Another consideration would be whether this was off a 5-speed or AOD. Just in case the H section doesn't spread wide enough for your AOD linkage.
87 Sport with HO cam, 19# injectors,TB+Upper Intake,87 Mustang EEC, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Kirban adj. fuel regulator and Autometer fuel pres. guage, HO shorty headers + LSC H-pipe and Dynomax Super Turbo lers, Ford Racing 9mm wires, K&N filter / no air resonator, 8.8 XR7 Diff., V rated tires, Project ongoing.

Reply #4
I put the exhaust off my 80 t-bird on to the 85 stang, shortened it before the ler and the tailpipe, fit fine.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
I installed a Mustang off road X-Pipe on my car with an AOD,and no problems at all.It was made for a 5 speed car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
The only problem you’re definitely going to have is the tail pipes are going to be short about one foot. What I did is put theses chrome tail tips to extent it.