Skip to main content
Topic: Does your 5.0 idle at 650 rpms? (Read 1195 times) previous topic - next topic

Does your 5.0 idle at 650 rpms?

I was just wondering if anyones 5.0 idles at 650 rpms in drive after it's warmed up. The emissions decal on my car says that's what it's supposed to idle at. Mine has always idled at 800 rpms after it's warmed up. I have no vac leaks and my TPS is adjusted correctly. Maybe that label is just wishful thinking on Fords part:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
mine  is aound 650  warm idle in drive

Reply #2
my 86 does too. i just replaced the map sensor vacuum hose but befor it idled higher and choppier.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #3
*EDIT- nevermind, didn't catch the in drive part...
Yeah, mine in drive I think is around 650 or so.

Reply #4
It should idle at 650 in drive.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
When fully warmed up, in gear, I've seen the tach needle go as low as being rock-steady at the 500 mark, which is, oddly enough, less than halfway between the 0 and 1000 marks.

Absolutely smooth, and no ill effects.  In fact, the engine rather feels like it'd be perfectly happy idling at 300 or so if it were asked to.
1988 Thunderbird Sport V8 - only 1 previous owner, and 110% bone stock so far... and sold to Nate!

Reply #6
well, mine is a digital, and it idles at the 4th bar
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #7
Quote from: quicksilver;105370
well, mine is a digital, and it idles at the 4th bar

How much did you drink at the first three?

Reply #8
Mine's also idling at the 4th bar ... our cars are such lushes :/

Anyway, 4 bars on the digidash = 800 rpm. That's when warm, in drive.

In park it'll sit at about 1000.

Reply #9
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;105382
How much did you drink at the first three?

haha :grinno:  i had nothing to drink.... but just think if i did though!:crazy:
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #10
Quote from: Ben;105392
Mine's also idling at the 4th bar ... our cars are such lushes :/

Anyway, 4 bars on the digidash = 800 rpm. That's when warm, in drive.

In park it'll sit at about 1000.

That's what mine does (with the digi dash) but it also idles at 4 bars (800 rpms) in park. Maybe it's fine and the digi dash tac is a bit off at low rpms. I had the car out today for a 2 hour drive and it ran fine. I've never had any problems with it so I guess i'll just leave well enough alone.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.