Skip to main content
Topic: will a ford mustang engine fit in a 1992 mercury cougar? (Read 723 times) previous topic - next topic

will a ford mustang engine fit in a 1992 mercury cougar?

im getting my first car soon and it needs an engine i was wondering if a ford mustang v6 3.8L will fit in a mercury cougar easily?

Reply #1
The 92 had a 3.8 option and as far as I know Ford didn't change the 3.8 block significantly throughout its life so it'll probably bolt in place like stock (don't quote me on that).  But as for the Mustang's intake manifold and stuff clearing the hood I don't know, nor do I know if the electronics will connect easily.  What year of Mustang did this come from?  If the cougar still has a dead engine in it you probably have all the parts you need to swap the Mustang 3.8 into it.  Others here will know more about it.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #2
As long as it's a pre-96 engine it should fit, but you may need the accessories and oil pan from your Cougar. 96-98 should work with your sensors and distributor. 99+ would require changing the intake manifold, cylinder heads, and some other stuff
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣