Skip to main content
Topic: ? for TFS stg 1 users? (Read 2139 times) previous topic - next topic

? for TFS stg 1 users?

My current cam pulls from 3000 to about 5400. The tach seems to slow its rate of climb at around 5100. I'm concidering a cam change because I'd like something that comes on a little earlier and will pull hard up to at least 5500. Right now it boils down to a choice between the TFS stg 1 and a Comp 35-351-8 which specs out pretty close to the TFS cam but costs about $100 more.

I'd just like to hear some impressions from some of you guys that actually use this cam. Especially about how the tach accelerates through the power band.

I'll be running it with Twisted Wedge heads, a ported Cobra intake, 76mm C&L MAF with 24# injectors. Oh, and a 5 speed with 3.55 gears.

Thanks in advance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #1
I have the stage 1 with trick flow heads and intake as well.  I'm very happy with the way the motor behaves at high RPM's.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #2
I have the TFS-1 and I can’t be happier with the performance

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #3
I have the TFS-1 also, and love it too..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #4
Quote from: Dogcharmer;104097
My current cam pulls from 3000 to about 5400. The tach seems to slow its rate of climb at around 5100. I'm concidering a cam change because I'd like something that comes on a little earlier and will pull hard up to at least 5500. Right now it boils down to a choice between the TFS stg 1 and a Comp 35-351-8 which specs out pretty close to the TFS cam but costs about $100 more.

I'd just like to hear some impressions from some of you guys that actually use this cam. Especially about how the tach accelerates through the power band.

I'll be running it with Twisted Wedge heads, a ported Cobra intake, 76mm C&L MAF with 24# injectors. Oh, and a 5 speed with 3.55 gears.

Thanks in advance.

i don't like twisted wedge haeds  but thats me..

but  yes they should be more then enough.. ;)

and the 24 LB injectors are fine too..

now

first off ditch that C&L mass air meter! :yuck: :barf:

i gave mine away for free

second

i'll let you in on an a little EFI secret.. just about every EFI intake manifold start falling off at about 5200-5400 RPM's.. :)

i'm useing a trick flow stage one cam but i'm allso useing a victor JR carb manifold converted to EFI and my motor is still making HP even when it hit's the rev limmter at 6000RPM's via the MSD.. i should  turn my motor to about 7000to7500RPM'S but i like my rod's just where they are ;)

a convereted victor jr would'nt be a wise idea for an N/A motor unless you plan to rev it passed 7000RPM's.. if you plan to do so in a stock two bolt main block then put a large basket in the trunk;)

the reason why i put the manifold on my motor is because my motor made ton's of low end torque from about idle to 5400RPM'S and the car was insane under 35MPH. the victor jr starts making power and torque above 3500RPM's and tops out at 8500 RPM's
which calmed it down in the midrange but moved the power band up stairs big time..

what i'm trying to say is with the right engine combo you should  make 300HP to the wheels with your EFI manifold. and heads with the right cam.. so turning your motor passed 6000RPM'S is a waste.. 290 to 310HP is about the most your going to get out of an N/A 302 motor.. no matter what head,cam,intake combo you use..

i hope this helps

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #5
I'm only looking to turn about 5500 RPM. What I'm basically concerned with is when the cam "comes on". I'm looking for a cam that I can nail it out of a slow corner and be in the power band at 2000 rpm. From what Nick said it sounds like the TFS 1 cam might just be the ticket.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #6
Using a stock Cobra and now a GT40 intake, my Stage1 one will pull to 6200 with no problem(6400 if I stick my nitrous chip in it).

What cam do you have now???

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #7
being that the topic here is trickflow cam related, who knows what sort of combo would complement the stage two cam?
thanks!
~Jonathan~
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #8
I dont know the cam thats in it now. I suspect its either the a stock cobra cam or the old motorsport B cam. I'm actually more interested in the bottom end of the tach than the top. This cam comes on way too late at 3000 rpm. I need something that comes on closer to 2000 RPM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #9
Sounds like you want less cam than the Stage 1, it really doesn't get going till about 2500...

If it stops pulling at 5200-5500, I'd suspect iffy valve springs...

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #10
can i use a cobra cam with a speed density computer?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #12
so is a cobra cam better then just GT cams? and will it work with stock pistons?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #13
The cobra cam is designed to work with 1.7 ratio rockers.  The Cobra motors came with 1.7's from the factory.  I've never used one myself, but I've heard many praises about the Crower 15511 cam.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

? for TFS stg 1 users?

Reply #14
Could I be right I heard short runners high rpm and long runners Torque...So If you want torque down at 2000, use a high torque cam and a Truck FI intake