Skip to main content
Topic: D8OE head? (Read 3658 times) previous topic - next topic

D8OE head?

well, i found a nice pair on ebay. the have 1.78 intake valves and 1.48 stainless valves. does anybody know anything about these heads?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

D8OE head?

Reply #1
there very similar to the e7 head.

I have a set with exhaust side porting and they ran well on a mild 302.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

D8OE head?

Reply #2
so they are a pretty good buy then? i noticed that they have a little big valves. but im going to port both the exhaust and intake sides. so im hoping on making decent power until i can afford twisted wedge heads.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

D8OE head?

Reply #3
o and thank you for your help

D8OE head?

Reply #4
There are better heads out there for sure, I'm not exactly sure what you meant about having a little big valves but that is the stock valve size on all ford 302 heads from the time they were produced through to the E7s. The have very large combustion chambers which = low compression. I believe they are 69cc, early 70's heads had average of  60cc and i am sure that the E7 heads have 64cc. You would be much better off with E7's being as though they are cheap and plentiful. The D8OE heads you are refering to were made during the fuel crunch and for the lowest powered 302 engines ever in the mid/late 70's. IMO:nono:

D8OE head?

Reply #5
Quote from: 4mykid;103271
There are better heads out there for sure, I'm not exactly sure what you meant about having a little big valves but that is the stock valve size on all ford 302 heads from the time they were produced through to the E7s. The have very large combustion chambers which = low compression. I believe they are 69cc, early 70's heads had average of  60cc and i am sure that the E7 heads have 64cc. You would be much better off with E7's being as though they are cheap and plentiful. The D8OE heads you are refering to were made during the fuel crunch and for the lowest powered 302 engines ever in the mid/late 70's. IMO:nono:

Have you had a set? set them beside some e7's and have a look
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D8OE head?

Reply #6
Quote from: quicksilver;103267
so they are a pretty good buy then? i noticed that they have a little big valves. but im going to port both the exhaust and intake sides. so im hoping on making decent power until i can afford twisted wedge heads.

There a decent low budget head.There not going to make insane power but are a good stepping stone they will accept all the late model valvetrain and the thermeractor hook ups.

other heads to look for

1969-71 351w heads

69-71 302 4v heads

65-66 289 hi po
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D8OE head?

Reply #7
Yes i have HAD a set and do have some E7s and I also have a book that gives specs on them...measure out the combustion chambers and then tell me they are the same. As well as talk to any body that knows anything about heads ie a performance machine shop and get their opinion if you dont believe me. I believe compression with those heads is around 8 to 1. Its the low compression that makes them poopy for power.

D8OE head?

Reply #8
Quote from: 4mykid;103277
Yes i have HAD a set and do have some E7s and I also have a book that gives specs on them...measure out the combustion chambers and then tell me they are the same. As well as talk to any body that knows anything about heads ie a performance machine shop and get their opinion if you dont believe me. I believe compression with those heads is around 8 to 1. Its the low compression that makes them poopy for power.

All i can say mine made good power and ran strong on the street with the d8oe heads.

Didnt want a debate over them or do i feel like arquing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D8OE head?

Reply #9
150030438813  ebay.

will these baby's work?

D8OE head?

Reply #10
As I was also just giving him the facts he was looking for and my personal opinion. Just trying to tell him for the same money he would likely spend on D8s he could do a little better with E7 heads for the same money. Nor was i looking to argue!

D8OE head?

Reply #11
Quote from: quicksilver;103268
o and thank you for your help

n/p man Im going to suggest you call this man and talk to him about the d8oe heads he owns a large respected mustang/head/intake porting shop near atlanta he can probly give you flow numbers on a stock set along with the actual cc of the chambers.

678-409-4685 Coupe performance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D8OE head?

Reply #12
Unless they have been milled I assure you they are 69cc.

D8OE head?

Reply #13
Quote from: quicksilver;103280
150030438813  ebay.

will these baby's work?

seems a little high for a set that needs reworked.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

D8OE head?

Reply #14
Late '70's and early '80's heads for the most part were lower compression than their counterparts from the early '70's and late '80's and '90's.  There just wasn't enough research back then to get a low emission rating AND have good power.  Heck, new innovations are being made even now (anybody been paying attention to what's been going on with diesel motors?). 

Those 351 heads are worth that much to someone restoring a car to origianl condition.  I didn't notice...Are they assembled with parts to run leaded or unleaded fuel?  That would be another concern if they are going on an emission vehicle.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!