Skip to main content
Topic: Well, since I've gotten a chance at one... (Read 3128 times) previous topic - next topic

Well, since I've gotten a chance at one...

Reply #15
The sale should read: "Rare Cougar convertible with free boat anchor under the hood!" :p

(yes, I'm long past done sticking up for the 3.8)

Reply #16
I wish I had the time and money...429CJ/4-speed...that would do it for me.  Gear it for the highway and build it for gobs of low end torque...just cruise.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #17
Hmm... To bad I already spent a lot on my xr7, though it is to cold for a convert up here though! lol

Hope someone on here gets it.

Daniel
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #18
Thats it. TIME TO GET A LOAN
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #19
I think this guy knows how rare the car is though. Just my guess.

Reserve might be outrageous.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #20
RJ, if you win this car you better not cut it up to take useful parts to try to save your 85. If you do I'm going to smack you upside the head!

Reply #21
I asked the guy several times about the reserve, he finally told me "The reserve is around $10,000"

Wow... It may be rare, but it doesn't mean it's worth money yet.  Good luck guys, if the reserve is 10k, I'm out of this one, he can keep it.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Reply #22
Quote from: David
I asked the guy several times about the reserve, he finally told me "The reserve is around $10,000"

Wow... It may be rare, but it doesn't mean it's worth money yet.  Good luck guys, if the reserve is 10k, I'm out of this one, he can keep it.

I knew it was too good to be true. *Ahem* Cheap rather.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #23
DAYUM!!!
Yeah, it's sweet, but it's not milk chocolate for crying out loud! LOL
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #24
Quote from: David

Holy :eek: ! If he didn't want that much I would have bid on it. It's in Illinois too so it can't be that far from me.

On the subject I almost flipped my Buick yesterday because I saw a tan 86 Cougar convertable. I've seen the car around my neighborhood the past few summers and that thing is mint. I have to talk to this guy at some point but he's always driving in the opposite direction from me.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #25
I've stayed out of this discussion on purpose...but I do have to chime in, now that the reserve price has been revealed. This is only to let everyone know the facts about this car, as observed from the photos.

- It is an LS model.
- It appears to have once had a glass back window, but was replaced with a plastic one at some point. That happened to me also so don't hold that against the seller.
- The trunklid liner appears to be missing.
- The Car Craft badge from the trunklid is missing.
- If you observe...there are no vent windows. Very odd.
- The weatherstripping on the window trim can be replaced with universal stuff. The top w/s, though, is specific to the top (Buick Riviera). So far I have not located that trim. It may be possible to still obtain it via a GM dealership parts department.
- The passenger side seat belt receptacle is broken (that's a major shock, I know).
- At least one of the armrest covers is missing.

I bring all of this to attention in order to relate them to the reserve price of $10K US. Mine did not cost that much when I bought it 10 years ago, and it had a V8 with leather seats. And fewer miles, come to think of it. Is it a fair price? I don't know...that particular car was about $25K US when it was brand new. The body looks straight (no noticeable dings or rust). The top looks okay for now, probably could use replaced. If everything was in order, fixed, or new, then I could see paying around $10K for that car. Otherwise it's a little hard to justify that IMHO. It needs some work (some of it general maintenance, other things more immediate to keep water out of the car). That work is going to cost somewhere around $3-5K US, conservatively. In the end it will have a total cost of $15K US...and will still be a V6 car with cloth seats.

Not passing judgment...again, just observations from a fellow convertible owner. I think it's important information that potential bidders should know, that's all.

That being said...I am totally in love with the interior color. I don't believe I've ever seen the high series door panels in Regatta Blue before. Beautiful. I almost had that top color, also, when mine got redone a few years ago. Makes me wish I would have now...

Reply #26
Ok, so I'll just keep wanting the Red 67 I saw....or you can all pitch in and buy it for my birthday present! :D
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #27
I mean no disrespect to anybody but I personally think the interior of that car looks like poo! It has 4 different shades of blue (maybe more) and the wood grain dash mixed in:yuck: The car itself is nice but I would keep the top up if it were mine!

Reply #28
Do you see the Country Classic Cars tag surround in the trunk shot?

Didn't we see this on their inventory list about a year or so ago?
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #29
Quote from: Cougars 2 go;103058
Do you see the Country Classic Cars tag surround in the trunk shot?

Didn't we see this on their inventory list about a year or so ago?

I believe so, I drive by that place everytime I go home to chicago.

I remember seeing that car on the lot for ~8,000.  Maybe he's trying to make a quick buck off of it.  Honestly with a description as shiznitty as that, I'm amazed it was found on eBay.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.