Skip to main content
Topic: Do I have to do something to my tranny (Read 1166 times) previous topic - next topic

Do I have to do something to my tranny

Hello I just upgraded my 88 cougar motor (5.0L) to a 5.0L HO out of a mustang.  I heard that if i dont do some work to my transmission that it will break cause it can't handle the power from the HO motor.  Is this true?  What should i do to it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Reply #1
I've heard that,but my tranny was the one that came with my low performance 5.0,and I used it behind my 5.0 H.O with no problems.I have a different tranny and engine now.It wouldn't hurt to beef up the tranny a little if you plan on terrorizing the tuners,though.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
If you don't plan on abusing the car(which I don't think is the case because, after all, you did do the HO conversion) than I would think it would be okay.  I beat the snot out of my car and race it frequently...I would recommend a shift kit(I used a B&M kit-before I knew better) and a trans cooler added in series to your existing system...preferably a very large cooler that is fed from the return side of the factory cooler.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #3
Make sure your tv cable is ajusted right.No.1 killer,I would bypass the radiator and go with a big cooler.It cost me 2 grand to build my aod from hell.hard parts aren't cheap.stay away from B+M,It's better to spend more on transgo than wondering whats wrong later.
There tourqe converters are junk to.Don't forget they used the same tranny in the stangs.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
:pbb: got to love the new smilys lol I dont mean to step on any ones toes,but it is more efficent to hook a big cooler to the radiator instead of bypassing it. I wont waste any ones time explaining it, but i will if any one wants me to. :2c:
:flip:I GOT MORE POWER NOW:flip:
:mad:..BUT I NEED EVEN MORE..:mad:

Reply #5
When your rad. has a problem your tranny won't.
I would like why you think it's better to run it thru hot water,
Unless you live in alaska.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +