Skip to main content
Topic: The '86 gets a new set of shoes! (Read 1251 times) previous topic - next topic

The '86 gets a new set of shoes!

I finally bit the bullet and laid out the cash for brand new wheels and tires for the '86 TC!  17"x8" silver Cobra R's w/245/45R17's all around.  They cost as much as the car!  Wheels, tires, mounted and balanced, lugs, locks, shipping and tax - $900 and change!  I've been shopping all the boards, Ebay, craigslist, classifieds, etc for months and the going price for 4-lug Cobra R's w/tires is around $650.  Add to that the cost of shipping, rebalancing, lugs and locks, not to mention getting half worn tires, finding the proper size wheels and tires, yada, yada, yada and $900 is lookin' pretty good.  Everything is brand spankin' new and the exact sizes that I want!

Needs lowering springs in front but those will come.  I also like the aggressive tread pattern of the tires.  They're Essenza tires made by Goodyear.  They're kinda like the 'Howard Johnson's' of Goodyear tires but they work for me.  Treadwear rating of 380.

No rubbing even at full lock!  They're the same size so tire rotation won't be a problem.  Keep in mind this is my daily driver.  It just needs to run good, look good and be dependable.

Bought the combo through AFS Wheels and Tires off of Ebay.  They are fantastic!  To say they worked with me is an understatement!  This combo isn't their normal retail set.  After telling them exactly what I was looking for, they 'put this together' for me.  They lowered the price by $100, cut the shipping from $139 to $80, lowered the tax by 1/4% and had them sitting on my doorstep 2 days after I ordered them!  I'd highly recommend AFS!

Reply #1
Looking good! Lots of luck with them ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
I want to sell my polished Turbo Coupe wheels and get a set of those.That's been my plan for quite some time.Perhaps it'll happen one day.They look great on your car.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
They look good with your color scheme.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
They look good with your color scheme.

I agree.  very nice.

Reply #5
Looks very nice.

Could I bother you to take another picture from basically the same angle as the tire close-up picture that you posted, but from higher up?
I am curious as to how close the outer edge of the tire is to the fender lip as viewed from front corner light.

Thanks,
Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #6
This is the only one I have saved and it's of the rear wheel, but you can see the clearance.  It's basically the same in the front, not even close to rubbing!  Believe me, I did some serious research into what size wheels and tires to get.  I didn't want to drop $900 only to find out later I couldn't run the combo!

Reply #7
That is the exact set I have been eyeballing on ebay. Im still going to buy mine from them, and now I know how much better off I will be. I just dont have $900 to drop at the moment. Close but not quite there. Are yours polished?
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #8
No, they're powdercoated silver.  I never have been a fan of polished and chrome would just be too much.  AFS only offers certain sets on Ebay.  The original Ebay auction I was looking at were these wheels with 255/40R17's.  Those tires were too big and would rub.  Call them and tell 'em exactly what you want and they'll put it together for you.  Negotiate for the price too!