Skip to main content
Topic: hey, turbocoupe50 (Read 2203 times) previous topic - next topic

hey, turbocoupe50

did you have to upgrade your tranny or or beef up anything when you put your twist wedge heads on?
im saving up to buy a pair of twist wedge heads and i need to know everything i need to do so i want break anything
thank you.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #1
Your trans should handle it np if your just doing the usual H/C/I swap in your car,stock aod should handle around 300hp.
Running H/C/I and a supercharger through my mostly stock aod,have a 2200 stall and a valvebody.
Trans hasn't blown up yet and i figure i've got around 425hp at least.
The only thing my aod does is under full throttle pulls it misses second gear and goes right to third,if i manually grab second it will hold it.
New trans is going in next year,ebay seller sells one that has the wide ratio gearset and will handle 650hp for 1100 shipped,can't beat that.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #2
so do you think my tranny will be ok with
edelbrock performer intake manifold
twist wedge heads
HO cam
headers
roller rockers
underdrive pullies
and a 75mm tb
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #3
stock aod should handle around 300hp

HAHAHHA my stock AOD couldn't handle the HO swap, and the second AOD couldn't handle it either..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #4
Quote from: thunder306
HAHAHHA my stock AOD couldn't handle the HO swap, and the second AOD couldn't handle it either..

yeah lol, them aod's cant handle the 150hp of the SO most of the time. expecialy if they got 150k on the clock. i'd get  a shift kit and front mount cooler to help keep wear down, pluss, it will be a little more fun.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #5
Well i donno guys,not saying mine shifts the way it should but it's takin 425 right now with a vb and convertor.
Mine is a mustang aod, but other than the linkage there isn't any difference.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #6
Quote from: dominator
Well i donno guys,not saying mine shifts the way it should but it's takin 425 right now with a vb and convertor.

what year mustang? newer vb design? i think i rember reading that the mustang aod had a few more clutches in it also and something about a stronger od band. i wish i could rember more tho, it may have just been talk. but me personaly i have killed 4, and my friends have killed more, built to, vb's, shift kits, converters, usualy changing the imput shaft works tho, the stock ones tend to brake under alot of power. tho, it probley dosnt help that most of them have over 100k on em.

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #7
Quote from: dominator

You know what the problem is, I killed mine with the 1-2-1 shuffle and I'm sure thats what Nate :flame: did to his too.. Notice we both have 5 speed trannys now. If you going to go with AOD I think the trick is not to shift the  out it :giggle: :giggle:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #8
well, im pretty much screwed then with my tranny. it has 164k on it...:hick:
so i take it i can just go to a pickandpull yard and take a AOD tranny from a stang?

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #9
I pull the 1-D-1 shuffle quite frequently...and I've been doing it for nearly 3 years now...still going strong...I regularly beat the balls off my car and I yet to have a problem with the trans(except for a cooler line leak).  All I have done to it is a B&M shift kit set to "street/strip" and a fairly large transcooler.

Seems like they either hold up fairly well, or grenade almost immediately...no middle ground...lol.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #10
good ole 1-2-1 shuffle mine tranny loves it  but not my old one!

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #11
My tranny has three mods, but otherwise has never been apart. Bought it from a '90 SC that suffered a bad dash fire(ign sw)with approx 45K mi, still had the factory cherry bomb(dip tube plug) rolling around in the pan.

My mods are a Trans-Go shift kit, hardened input shaft(orig broke first time at track) and an additional mod to the valve body(drill, cut, epoxy a couple of passages) that prevents it from shifting past 2nd in the "D" position. That elimnates the D-1-D shuffle that is pr0ne to causing clutch wear...

Before I installed the shift kit, it shifted fair on it's own, but struggled badly with the 2-3 manual shifting at 6000(and you need 6000 rpms with the Trick Flows). The Trans Go made a new transmission out of my AOD...

Now that it has approx 85K miles its getting a bit soft, but still shifts far better than without the kit. Also remember It has some where in the neighborhood of 600+ drag strip passes. Also I sprayed the piss out of it with a 85hp shot of the juice and hit it a few times with a buck and a half shot(the Nitto DRs didn't like that much fun)....

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #12
what kinds of times are you running turbocoupe50?

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #13
On the motor its gone 13.11@105 with a 8.42 1/8 and has run a couple of high 8.30s down at the little track in NC.

On the 85 shot it went 12.23@112, never had enough tire to make a good run with the 150 shot, estimate a 11.75@116 or so...

hey, turbocoupe50

Reply #14
dang, those are really impressive times!
what mods do you have to the engine?