Skip to main content
Topic: T04E Questions (Read 2547 times) previous topic - next topic

T04E Questions

Im looking at picking up this turbo for my car. I was wondering how much work would it be to make it work with a stock 2.3T? Since my IHI went bad i mine as well upgrade now when i need to do it. But any info i can get would be helpful. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220600752935&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

T04E Questions

Reply #1
I've done this swap on two 88 TC's one being my silver 88.  first off you will need an oil return line from an 83-86 TC, you will need to fabricate some kind of cold air intake (your stock tube wont work), you will need the exhaust elbow from an 83-86 TC and you will need to either notch the exhaust pipe bolt  to match the new elbow or buy the stinger 3" down pipe and go from there.  need any more info PM me ;)

T04E Questions

Reply #2
expect alot of pms. Now i have a question... What number do i go by the compressor or the turbine wheel? i found on a few turbos the turbine wheel is a .63 and the compressor was a .50. And what mods would i do just for a t3?

Got that fox rash again!

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

T04E Questions

Reply #3
depends on the T3, if your using a stock turbo from an 83-86 TC you still have to do most of what was said above other than the intake tube.

T04E Questions

Reply #4
so it looks like i have more work to do than just the turbo. Do you have any of the other parts im going to need to get it done? and can i do the exhaust work without a welder?

Got that fox rash again!

T04E Questions

Reply #5
yes you can do it without a welder, and I did have the parts but we just used them on a buddies 88TC doing this swap.

T04E Questions

Reply #6
ok looks like im going to be in need of some parts.

Got that fox rash again!

T04E Questions

Reply #7
Are you seriously thinking of buying THAT particular turbo? Do you realize that if a turbo is $120 BRAND new its probably made out of pot metal glued together by a 6 year old chinese boy paid a handful of rice a week?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

T04E Questions

Reply #8
Quote from: bhazard;321660
Are you seriously thinking of buying THAT particular turbo? Do you realize that if a turbo is $120 BRAND new its probably made out of pot metal glued together by a 6 year old chinese boy paid a handful of rice a week?

:laughing: thats very true. anything under $500 pretty much isnt going to last long unless you fix them up with better parts. your better off just getting a T3 off a SVO or 83-86 turbo coupe. They are good to up to 275hp or around there.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

T04E Questions

Reply #9
and that turbo isnt a internal wastegate either, so you'll have to fork out more money for a wastegate and a new header, or do alot of work to your exhaust manifold and put a wastegate there.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

T04E Questions

Reply #10
Quote from: SR71blackbird;321679
and that turbo isnt a internal wastegate either, so you'll have to fork out more money for a wastegate and a new header, or do alot of work to your exhaust manifold and put a wastegate there.

Wrong. Been a while since you looked at a T3? The wastgate flapper is in the elbow. Since the wastegate hole is present in the exhaust housing, all he has to do is find an elbow from a T3 and a wastegate actuator. He will have to modify the actuator bracket to work with the T4 compressor housing.
He can keep his manifold or header and not have to modify it.
Also, Charlie at Evergreen Turbo has said that people have been sending him these cheap chinese turbos to have the internals (ie: bearing and thrusts) upgraded to garrett parts and having success with them.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

T04E Questions

Reply #11
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-HYBRID-SVO-TURBO-COUPE-TURBO-FORD-5-BOLT-/270567511263?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3eff1494df

would this work with my stock setup minus changing things over to the 83-86 tc stuff?

Got that fox rash again!

T04E Questions

Reply #12
Dude its the same thing, China junk. You CANT get a real turbo thats gonna hold up for less than $500 or so. Unless its used. You can get clean holsets for a couple hundred.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

T04E Questions

Reply #13
problem is i have 300 bucks to work with... So unless someone has one on here for a smoking deal or even a IHI so i can just replace what i have then this is my only potion. I know it sucks and im gonna get bit in the ass for it.

Got that fox rash again!

T04E Questions

Reply #14
Quote from: jangus;321689
Wrong. Been a while since you looked at a T3? The wastgate flapper is in the elbow. Since the wastegate hole is present in the exhaust housing, all he has to do is find an elbow from a T3 and a wastegate actuator. He will have to modify the actuator bracket to work with the T4 compressor housing.
He can keep his manifold or header and not have to modify it.
Also, Charlie at Evergreen Turbo has said that people have been sending him these cheap chinese turbos to have the internals (ie: bearing and thrusts) upgraded to garrett parts and having success with them.

lol i learned something new today. i have never looked at a T3 wastegate flapper before, just holset ones where the flapper is part of the exhaust housing if im even thinking of the right thing. but anyways, you can pick up used T3's for not that much and the spool time is pretty good with them.