Skip to main content
Topic: Ever got refused an emissions test? (Read 1388 times) previous topic - next topic

Ever got refused an emissions test?

I did today:mad: :mad:  something about being to loud
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #1
That sounds more like a safety issue to me....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
have you ran it at the track yet?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #3
Why don't you just slap on a ler?

Reply #4
Quote from: xjeffs;195658
Why don't you just slap on a ler?

it has 2 on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I was at a race once that required lers.  One guy there had a sweet 66ish Corvette with sidepipes, which were too loud.  His solution was to use a coathanger to tie a tin can over each pipe exit.  That was enough to get him through tech.  I still remember him pulling a wheelie with those cans dragging on the ground.

Moral of the story, get yourself something temporary - steel wool, baffles, something stuck into the end of the pipe.  Stop half a block away from the inspection place and install whatever it is, get the tag, then get it out.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Quote from: t3skidoo;195660
I was at a race once that required lers.  One guy there had a sweet 66ish Corvette with sidepipes, which were too loud.  His solution was to use a coathanger to tie a tin can over each pipe exit.  That was enough to get him through tech.  I still remember him pulling a wheelie with those cans dragging on the ground.

Moral of the story, get yourself something temporary - steel wool, baffles, something stuck into the end of the pipe.  Stop half a block away from the inspection place and install whatever it is, get the tag, then get it out.

See that would be fine except we dont have a safety inspection.All there supposed to do is do sniff test and a quick visual check for cats not a thing to do with sound or loudness.It all comes down to the inspector didnt want to do her job.because my car has turndowns (law reads 12" or an arm lenth under the car is acceptable) to be able to test wich mines falls within.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
Try a different station.  I can't believe they have this in Tennessee.  We don't even have this in San Antonio.

Reply #8
gads, a lazy paper pusher.  +1 on trying a different location.  if that isn't an option, how about getting some more exhaust pipe from an auto supply to get it closer?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Glad i'm in NY,
 no sniff test here.
Only to make sure there's cats on it. and in 4 more years my car won't even need them.

Is it the same everywhere else after 25 years?  (the cat part I mean)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
What's an emission test? LOL.No saftey or emissions here in Oklahoma.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
No worries here either. We don't have  in middle to souther IL. Around Chicago you have to get them sniffer tested.

Reply #12
slip them a 20 and they will forget about it

Reply #13
No emissions in Kansas lol. Run straights on it!! We have to have lers, that is it. Its called "noise pollution".
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit