Skip to main content
Topic: 88 5.0 (Read 7720 times) previous topic - next topic

88 5.0

Reply #30
Really nice !!!Needs a smaller light down lower in the corner,like a fog/driving light,to fill in the void.Awesome talent you have !! Two pats on the back ol' boy.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

88 5.0

Reply #31
talent? First time using fiberglass really. Last December doesn't count as it took a week to dry and that was only to fill in the flutes to make molds.

On a related note, people always want to get clear lenses for their stock lights. Here's the perfect reason not to use our reflectors with a clear lens...it'll hot spot/glare exactly like this, just with half the light output and less annoyingly blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXdn_4vjisE&NR=1

Basically, NOT GOOD.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #32
Primered/sanded them 3 times now and they're getting close to perfect. Just hitting the problem spot thats deep  (to the left of the projector in the previous picture). Perhaps I should have tried body filler or putty, but I think it'll come along soon enough. A metal flake color could hide any imperfections (that I'd like to disappear altogether though), or I can go ahead with a solid black/silver. Ideas? Maybe a semi-flat black?
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #33
Where did you get those lenses?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

88 5.0

Reply #35
Joshua over at izntrbl.com vacuum formed them for me. I just made the molds, sent them to him, and he formed the 1/16" polycarbonate over what I gave him. I got the molds back to perfect them some more for future lenses (need to prime and sand them down a couple times to get rid of a couple dimples, and fill in the flutes a bit thicker). The difficulty on these and cougars' is about the same as the sunfire lenses, so he priced them equal.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #36
Getting there. Its so close to being perfect, that I'm about to start forming the edges of the lenses for better fitment. Although the projectors look crooked in the picture, they're aimed correctly. Lenses are dusty, as can be seen.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #37
Going to give silver a try, black looks kinda off between the other two lights.

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #38
photoshop greatness...silver

1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #39
Quote from: Seek;159782
Going to give silver a try, black looks kinda off between the other two lights.

(votes for chrome)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

88 5.0

Reply #40
Whenever you are ready to sell lenses let me know :)
One 88

88 5.0

Reply #41
Quote from: CougarSE;159797
Whenever you are ready to sell lenses let me know :)

:stupid:
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

88 5.0

Reply #42
Sure, if you guys want to chip in enough to build a vacuum forming table (~$100), I will, otherwise have izntrbl.com make them (send molds to him exactly how you want the lexan formed over, minus the wax, I still haven't touched the tbird molds I plan on sending back to him). I'd love to build a setup, but don't have the money to spare at the moment, money's going out the same rate as its coming in. Outdoor electric grill, $10, decent-powered shopvac, $50+, aluminum, glass, wiring, etc for enclosure, $50. Then its just taking 2-3 hours to build the darn thing, and practicing a few times (it doesn't just work).
1988 Thunderbird Sport

88 5.0

Reply #43
You have links to build threads on these things?
One 88

88 5.0

Reply #44
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php

Everybody there has it easy though...already clear headlights, plenty of depth, and room all around for cut up stainless steel bowls for shrouds. We're not so lucky. What you see here is all made up as I go along. If I used smaller projectors (TL's are one of the largest and have the best output, but many others come in close, especially with swapped lenses), it may have been slightly easier.

Silver looks much better, although the camera makes it look gray. Reflects a bit of light in person, no flash was used here.

1988 Thunderbird Sport