Skip to main content
Topic: fuel sending unit (Now with py pics) (Read 2188 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel sending unit (Now with py pics)

Where is the best place to get a new one ? I tried autozone and advancedauto neither one could get one. Ill try napa tomorrow. Its for a 88 tc anolog gauges. Is their any other ones that will work from other cars if so what ones. thanks for the help.

Reply #1
It would be really nice if we could put together a little programmable box that would let us use any sending unit...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #2
One from an 86 or later Mark VII  LSC should work
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #3
Is this confirmed? I need to replace mine.  I ran out of gas 3 times in the last year.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I put one from a turbo coupe in my 88 mark VII and it seemed to work correctly :D
it has to be an LSC though the other marks had a digital dash
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
Id like to repair one for someone,,

configuration

buttstuffog indicator- high resistance when empty, low resistance when full

digi indicator- low resistance when empty, high resistance when full

I found some interesting links when i searched "universal fuel sending unit"

anyway, inspect yours, its probably repairable with some cleaning or whatnot.

leme know if you want to fix it, i could quickly look at it and figure out whats wrong/determine if its repairable or not.

Reply #6
ill look into it this week as soon as i get a chance

Reply #7
the way i see it, the resistor on the side is something that could be replaced by an alternate part out there in part land.  Grafting it on to the assembly could be a differnet story.

in my minds eye, i see a contained (round) variable reisstor for sale that has a input shaft.  Rating would be 5-90ohms
now graft your float lever to the input shaft by creative means and it should all work.

yall know,, like a volume assmbly in a radio.

Reply #8
ok heres what i got sorry for the bad cell phone pics.the 1st pic is of the resistor idk if ya'll can see it or not but the wear pattern on it. thats what caused the problem. i was able to bend the copper conector to the good part its working for now but im looking for a good replacement resistor or the whole unit.  the other pics r of the whole unit
 X

X

X

Reply #9
I saw new ones on Ebay for around $80.00.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
Quote from: vinnietbird;321871
I saw new ones on Ebay for around $80.00.

yea true but once their gone then we have to fix our old broken parts. or im just to cheap to buy a new one lol

Reply #11
Is it for digital or buttstuffog gauges?I can get a base model sender when I hit the yard...hopefully next week if the rain will friggin' stop.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
well this would come in handy when we do finally run out of these parts. I would rather fix what i have than take a chance on a py chinese part that would fail within a week.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #13
well i filled the car up drove it till the fuel light kicked on then toped it off again seams to be working very well. i think i got lucky but still think their is a better way like what jcassity was saying with a rotating resistor but would need anouther sending unit.

Reply #14
now was your low fuel light staying on even with a full tank? i know from time to time mine does and im unsure how to fix it.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com