Skip to main content
Topic: line lock? (Read 3466 times) previous topic - next topic

line lock?

is this something you can have on a street car? or is it too complicated/expensive to worry about? it's an AOD

Re: line lock?

Reply #1
It's fairly easy to install, the line lock is for your brakes not trans.
There is a trans brake also if that is what you are thinking of for the AOD. Summit sells kits for line lock.
1986 bird, 306, Dart heads, 550 lift cam, exp. intake, 50lbs injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, Procharger D1R blower 14lbs, 3 core intercooler, 55shot ZEX N20, tremec 5speed, 3.73 gears, auburn pro posi,headman full length headers, 3" exhaust
custom chip by 5.8FastCat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1955 bird 351w, AFR 185 Heads, 580 lift cam, D1R  Procharger 10lbs tremec 5speed, 3.92 Gears

2007 Hayabusa, R-22 pipes, K&N,  Power Commander
192hp

"Imports are like tampons, every p@$$y has one"

Reply #2
Line lock is basically an electrically controlled valve.  Step on the brakes, press the line lock, release the brakes.  The line lock holds the pressure on the front brakes and releases the rear.

Reply #3
Quote from: blownbirds
It's fairly easy to install, the line lock is for your brakes not trans.
There is a trans brake also if that is what you are thinking of for the AOD. Summit sells kits for line lock.

I see said the blind man  :hick:
so which would be better/cheaper? line lock or trans brake? I'm assuming the trans would be more complicated and expensive.
no wonder I couldn't find anything searching for "aod line lock"  :giggle:

Reply #4
Line lock is cheaper.
U use to the line lock to lock the front wheels so u can do a burn out.
Some people use the line lock to hold the back wheels when they load the car to race.

Trans brake is used to lock the tranny in 1st and R so u can rev the motor higher in the Power ban get more powe to the tires and not spin the tires wile staged and ready to go

Reply #5
so is it worth it to get it? IIRC a line lock greatly improves the 60ft times and launches. or should I spend my $$ on something else? I think it'd just be cool to say "Well I have line lock on my car ;)"

also, which would be better? locking the front tires or the rear?

Reply #6
You'll need some really good brakes in the rear if you use it out back.. Likely it would creep out of the stage beam, with the stock Bird binders(even the TC discs)..... I'd go with it out front...

Reply #7
so is it useful enough to get? seems like it's ~100 for a kit

Reply #8
Quote from: zpyro
so is it useful enough to get? seems like it's ~100 for a kit

Up to you, but I'd spend some money for sticky tires.

I don't have one, but it ain't legal in the class I run in....

Reply #9
Quote from: zpyro
I see said the blind man  :hick:
To his deaf wife? :D

I thought it was illegal to have a line lock on a street car? i'm sure theres different laws everywhere but this is what I heard.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #10
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
I don't have one, but it ain't legal in the class I run in....

I don't know what any classes are, the only track time it'd see is every so often at a test n tune kinda deal.

Quote from: tbirdscott
I thought it was illegal to have a line lock on a street car? i'm sure theres different laws everywhere but this is what I heard.

quick google shows nothin :dunno:

Reply #11
well, its cheeper to learn how to heal toe....line loc is cool, fun and easier on the brakes if you are gonna just use it for burnin out though.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #12
I thought heel-toe was used in cornering, with a stick shift :dunno:

Reply #13
I thought heel-toe was used in cornering, with a stick shift

it is. sorry, i was thinking stick. i use the same method for brake standing the car and staging/torquing up the car for launch (5 speed). obviously u can easilly use 2 feet with an automatic. i always thought it was stupid to rev the engine, drop the clutch and jump over to the brake to brake stand a car like so many do....it just looks amatureish and "hacked". much like my spelling
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #14
lol, I just use 2 feet, I only have 2 pedals :p and I thought a line-lock would greatly improve your launches  :dunno: