Skip to main content
Topic: 3g alternator help? (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

3g alternator help?

ok i did the alternator swap yesterday i did everything like the wiring diagrams say. i wired up the green wire to the external regulator green wire. the orange and blue wire to the external regulator orange and blue wire. then the brown and orange to the red post on the alternator with the big yellow wire. the big yellow wire then wire up to the positive side of the starter solenoid. i then left the white and black wire and yellow and whiter wire left those to the old external wiring harness. then i started my cougar and the volts stay at 11.5 volts all day long and the alternator only charges at 12.5 volts and also the battery amp light stays on. that is how i wired everything up. what do i do to get the amp light to go off and get the charging of the alternator to work? P.S i got the alternator off of a ford taurus 94 or 95.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

3g alternator help?

Reply #1
Quote from: blackcougar71;216287
ok i did the alternator swap yesterday i did everything like the wiring diagrams say. i wired up the green wire to the external regulator green wire. the orange and blue wire to the external regulator orange and blue wire. then the brown and orange to the red post on the alternator with the big yellow wire. the big yellow wire then wire up to the positive side of the starter solenoid. i then left the white and black wire and yellow and whiter wire left those to the old external wiring harness. then i started my cougar and the volts stay at 11.5 volts all day long and the alternator only charges at 12.5 volts and also the battery amp light stays on. that is how i wired everything up. what do i do to get the amp light to go off and get the charging of the alternator to work? P.S i got the alternator off of a ford taurus 94 or 95.

It doesn't sound like you followed the directions very well then.

Look at posts #49 and #50 in this thread...

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?p=179687#post179687

You have to REMOVE the old external regulator.  When you do, all you will be left with is the green wire.  Everything else comes out with the reg and the old alternator.

The diagrams put it out there pretty easily and the pre-87, ext-regulated cars are pretty much a cakewalk.

You need to take a couple pics of how you have this wired, because it sounds all FUBAR'ed to me.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

3g alternator help?

Reply #2
thanks chuck i looked at the diagram on post 50 then wired it up that way it work perfect after that.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

3g alternator help?

Reply #3
Coolio...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo