Skip to main content
Topic: I finished my cup holder..... (Read 4765 times) previous topic - next topic

I finished my cup holder.....

Reply #15
Quote from: Seek;332240
Did I miss something?

I was let down by the lot of deadener I installed. All my noise comes from the window areas and top of the doors. I could barely perceive a difference and this was with multiple layers of butyl mass loading, plus NBR/PVC barrier sheeting. Removing the stock deadener, I'm sure this stuff would work as well and be much lighter, but I left the stock stuff intact and noticed next to no improvement. I didn't do the roof but I did the sides, floor, and rear deck/behind the rear seat. I had so much deadener on these spots that when trying to reinstall the bottom of my rear seat, I bent the metal and now I can't get it bent back to reinstall properly. I've added like over 1/2 an inch of mass and barrier deadening around the vehicle. Plus it took me like 4 entire days, dawn to dusk, to properly install it all. I did the sides and rear seat area one weekend and posted pictures here but added more later as I figured I didn't do good enough of a job - it didn't improve...Waste of funds on non-go-faster stuff.

Yeah...I can't recommend the stuff unless you're removing all the stock deadening. I'm surprised that even the doors did well with just their factory padding and door panels.

Mine has no roof padding,and the replacement carpet wasn't as thick as the stock carpet.I plan on getting new carpet next year.The exhaust is also somewhat loud.It needs help pretty bad in the "quiet" department.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #16
I rest my arm on the console, so this works for me.

11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #17
Looks very professional.

So is the plan to get the car to be a 10 outta 10 .......... and then leave it in my driveway?

You're already at 9.9 outta 10.
13 Dodge Dart SXT Special Edition
09 Honda Shadow Sabre ---------- 08 Caliber
05 Aztek ---------- 02 Avalanche
02 Thunderbird (4,000 miles) ---------- 02 Cadillac ETC
98 Explorer ---------- 96 Suzuki X-90
89 Fleetwood ---------- 89 Continental
88 Town Car ---------- 86 Silverado ---------- 84 Fiero
83 Town Car ---------- 82 EXP (32,000 miles) ---------- 82 Mercury LN7
80 Mustang (35,000 miles) ---------- 65 Continental
62 Galaxie 500 ---------- 54 Packard

Reply #18
Make her a 10? I wish. I have a long way to go.I just do what I can when I can on limited to no funds. Makes it more challenging that way.LOL. Eventually,and last,new paint....again. I have plans for a new hood and a couple of other minor "adjustments" with the body. That'll be towards the end of 2011 though. Thanks for the compliments,I really appreciate that from my fellow peers here.Good or bad,I like to hear it all.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #19
Quote from: Chooglin;332210
looks real good Vin.the only thing I am wondering is,dont you kinda have to reach back a bit,to reach the cup?

right hands for shiftn, left hand for drinkin, but it does look good
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Reply #20
Thanks a lot.Until I can find a better idea,this is it.,

Reply #21
ive been thinkin of how to do mine, im not sure what im gonna do.
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Reply #22
I really dislike cups in the console. My t/a has one in the console, and it's completely in the way. Knocked the lid off of a McDonalds cup, and that was the end up it.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #23
man i wish i knew you were doing this,, i would have suggested you find a kia sportage in the yard.

they have a clever pop out of the dash drink holder that kina pops in and out and operates just like our ash trays.  they are very narrow and end up folding up into about 1/2'' of horizontal space approx 6'' deep and bout 7'' wide.

that could be integreated into many spots of our dashes.

i dont like it,, but do like the nice work you did.  My elbow would be all up in my drink all the time especially if no lid is on.

Reply #24
I may check into the Sportage idea.Thanks. But for now,this is what I have to use.As I said,I can easily swap the stock lid back on in two minutes and it'll be like it never was there....if I decide to remove it.

Reply #25
Quote from: vinnietbird;332203

Looks good Vinnie, like it could have been factory.

Reply #26
Looks good!

There were many times I wish I had something like that in my 5sp car. Roadtrip, stop for coffee, no where to put it and still need to shift. :hick:

Great idea and it has that factory look!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #27
Quote from: rodsterh;332398
Looks good!

There were many times I wish I had something like that in my 5sp car. Roadtrip, stop for coffee, no where to put it and still need to shift. :hick:

Great idea and it has that factory look!

Open the console and place it in there? It's big enough to hold a large water bottle so if you wedge something in there, a smaller cup would work without a problem. Or just remove the armrest :p
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #28
Quote from: Seek;332401
Open the console and place it in there? It's big enough to hold a large water bottle so if you wedge something in there, a smaller cup would work without a problem. Or just remove the armrest :p

That's what I used to do lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #29
Well here's mine... I have not taken any pics of it installed yet though... it's still too small for really large cups. The SN-95 Mustang consoles were revised two times during the production run. The first revision replaced the covered ashtray with a cup holder that snap fitted into that area. Then the second revision revised the console to include large molded in cup holders. The early console is too good to waste but I suppose at some point if I wanted to bad enough I could switch to the final revision console.

Hard to find a better solution for floor shifter cars other than what Vinnie came up with.