Skip to main content
Topic: IRS update (Read 3277 times) previous topic - next topic

IRS update

been a while, eh? id like to say, chuck is my hero. he works on his cars all winter. when its below 30, my garage is closed for buisness :bowdown:

so anyhow, got some work done on the IRS install today. last yous heard, it was mocked up and most of the tpuppies of the chassis was taken care of. well its all trimmed out now, rear mount is finished, and it sat on its own weight tonight!

im so stoked! ride height came out perfect with only one isolator on the spring. when the rest of the weight is in the car, i may need to add the top one, or switch to some polys, but at least its not too high.

for anyone who forgot i was buildin a car, the rest of my pics are here
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/gmby23/87%20turbocoupe/

:birdsmily:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

IRS update

Reply #1
awesome looks great!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

IRS update

Reply #2
that's awesome!  Any details on the work involved?q
Ryan[/i][/COLOR]
1986 2R[/b] SVO
1984 T-Bird 5.0 (In Hibernation since 10/96)

IRS update

Reply #3
Cool, glad to see you've made some progress. 

How much more work until it's mobile?

I wish I could work all winter....but there are times when even I don't want to be out there messing around.  I have a heated garage....but it's also storage...so it makes it hard to get anything else worked on ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

IRS update

Reply #4
Impressive!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

IRS update

Reply #5
Nice work! What did you do to the tank?

BTW, I still have that one I got from you, lol.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

IRS update

Reply #6
Very nice work !!! I feel like I've accomplished something when I just swap the rear for a different one that fits in the same spot.Now I don't feel so impressed.LOL.Again,great work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

IRS update

Reply #7
thanks guys!

i shifted the tank as far left as space would allow, and then folded the pinch weld up on it to allow the passenger side subframe mount to pass by.
trimmed out the live axle bumpstops, a lil bit of the shock tower gussets. also clearenced the tank strap mount on the passenger side for the upper control arm pivot.

i think that covers most of it.

next up is fittin the shocks. now that i have a ride height, i can stick them in there and see how far i need to drop the upper mount to fit properly.

i still need to lay the steel in the floors(SFC), plumb the new MC and rear brakes, and plunk the motor back in before its drivable.....soon though!

IRS update

Reply #8
What did you do about E-brake cables?
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

IRS update

Reply #9
stock so far.

IRS rear calipers use the same type of cable attachment as my TC. i have the cables run thru the uprights and looks like everything is gonna line up fine, but i havent actually hung a caliper on it yet to make sure.

IRS update

Reply #10
gumby, we need to compare notes sometime. I'm at about the same point as you are. Hmmmmm you had to move the tank over?? I had already taken my tank out when I put my IRS in. I don't know if I'll use a stock tank or not though. 

Good work on the rear mount :D
Car looks great :D

Keep us updated with your progress :)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

IRS update

Reply #11
i didnt "move" the tank as much as when i reinstalled it i jus shoved it over as far as it would go.
when i first test fit the IRS i saw it was gonna hit on the passenger side. i then removed the tank and continued with makin the subframe fit the car.
after slappin my walbro in the tank, i stuck it back in the car, pushed it over, and checked the fit against the subframe again. lil work with the BFH and all is well.
in the interim i had purchased a new tank that i planned to modify if needed. ended up resellin the new tank.

mine is also the smaller tank to begin with, so im not sure what tank you started with.

what springs are you using in yours. your cardomain only states 700#
anytime you wanna BS the IRS, lemme know :hick:

IRS update

Reply #12
Yeah, the hard mount is pretty nice, was that just to avoid the massive modifications necessary to use the stock mounts?

I thought the e-brake mounting looked the same, glad to have someone confirm that. 

Did you move your subframe back any by lengthening the forward mounts?

As I see people mess with the tanks so much, it makes a fuel cell look like a good idea with some custom mounts.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

IRS update

Reply #13
the hard mount was to get rid of the squishy OEM bushing and flex from the stock bracket, thus reducing subframe deflection in hard corners and acceleration.
i didnt change the front mounts other than to change the bushings out for poly. i thought about stretchin it, and it was a possibility in the beginning. but after the initial test fit i decided against it. the lost 3/8" didnt compromise my wheel clearences. movin the subframe back would have caused some major interference issues with the tank. best option if a guy wanted to retain the factory bird/cat wheelbase would be a fuel cell, and that is out of my current budget.
also im runnin an extended wheelbase k-member, so having the  wheels shifted slightly forward in the rear mirrors the front on my car.

IRS update

Reply #14
gumby, the springs I used are AFCO springs. I bought them from a "roundy round" shop. I almost bought 800 #ers but thought that they might be a tad too much.
Thanks for the heads up with the tank issue.
I hadn't noticed the 3/8" shortness of the forward mounts. I have tentative plans on installing a MM k-member that has a either a 3/4" or 1 1/2" longer wheelbase. I don't remember right off what their k member has :( 
Call me sometime between 8am and 3pm. I work midnights :(
708 271-2369 that be my cell #

Chuck: how's those mounts coming?? No rush :D

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]