Skip to main content
Topic: Fan wiring question (Read 2265 times) previous topic - next topic

Fan wiring question

Reply #15
Quote from: Chuck W;264057
Those stupid factory fan controllers go bad all the time.  I always wound up removing them and replacing the set-up with a relay as well as a lower temp fan switch (the factory switch setting is WAY too high IMO).  On the earlier cars (w/o gauges) you didn't know things were amiss until the engine light came on, meaning the thing was already overheating....

If the car still has AC, you can duplicate the above diagram with a pair of relays.  If no AC, just one will be enough.

Now that i had time to look at the diagram (both softtouch's and mine), i see exactly what you mean.  221deg would not make me too happy either.

I am really sure anyone could duplicate that diagram along with a lower temp cooling switch and remedy the whole mess.

Fan wiring question

Reply #16
Quote from: Rages6971;269973
I still can't find the fan relay! :mad:  I have tried following the wiring harness back into the main harness and I am just am not sure what I am looking for or where it is located. I'll try looking again when the rain lets up here, but that could be another week.

The relay wiring diagram would be great to have as a backup, just in case there is a problem with the factory setup. I have a few of those just lying around. So far including the cost of the car, a new timing belt, hoses, radiator, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, rotor and cap, I have about $550 into it. Spending $125 for one part isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna need it:drink:

Adrain

I dont own a TC but, from how the diagram presents itself, i would be looking for a little box of some sort with the color wires you already have going to it.  Just trace backwards from the fan, the AC compressor and the coolant temp switch and they all should arrive back at the "cooling fan controller"

Fan wiring question

Reply #17
Quote from: jcassity;270140
I dont own a TC but, from how the diagram presents itself, i would be looking for a little box of some sort with the color wires you already have going to it.  Just trace backwards from the fan, the AC compressor and the coolant temp switch and they all should arrive back at the "cooling fan controller"

I'll give it a shot. I think I will end up splitting some of the wiring harnesses to see where they going. That fan controler doesn't by chance look like an old style voltage regulator does it? Hmmm.......I might have already found it and just didn't know it........

Fan wiring question

Reply #18
the integrated controller module can be found on the strut tower on the pass side.  The 87 and up box contains several relays.

Easy to troubleshoot if you like.

Fan wiring question

Reply #19
Sounds good! I'll get in there and take a closer look and try to follow the wires to it. I'll get some pictures also, just in case I go past it again.

Fan wiring question

Reply #20
"The cooling fan controller is located under the instrument panel to the left of the steering column" Says the 84 shop manual.
I don't have a TC so I don't know what it looks like.

Fan wiring question

Reply #21
Well I have a couple pictures. I haven't had time to compare against the wiring diagram yet, been too busy putting brakes on the bird and getting the mustang ready for the first race. I think it is the black box up under the dash, but hopefully someone can confirm this. If this needs to be replaced how much do they usually cost?

Thanks for all the help! I'm getting closer to having it road worthy.

Found it.........

Reply #22
Alright I finally had a chance to track the wiring. The relay on an '85 is located behind the glove box. I ran a jumper across the terminal to see if the wiring was good to the fan, and everything seems to check out fine. I know price wise they are proud of these relays, but it appears to have just worn out from age so I will just replace it.

On the coolant sensor, does anyone have a part number for a cooler sensor? I think I will just go ahead and replace it while I am at it.

Thanks for the help and patients! :)

Fan wiring question

Reply #23
Quote from: Chuck W;264057
Those stupid factory fan controllers go bad all the time.  I always wound up removing them and replacing the set-up with a relay as well as a lower temp fan switch (the factory switch setting is WAY too high IMO).  On the earlier cars (w/o gauges) you didn't know things were amiss until the engine light came on, meaning the thing was already overheating....

If the car still has AC, you can duplicate the above diagram with a pair of relays.  If no AC, just one will be enough.

Back from the dead!

Where do you get a lower temp fan switch? Part number?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast