Skip to main content
Topic: Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I? (Read 8551 times) previous topic - next topic

Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I?

Reply #45
Attach the ground for the oxygen sensor wire.

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Is the pump getting power? If the key is turned to on you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two then shut off.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #46
Not sure everything you have tested/checked so far but SBFtech.com has a good write up on EFI no start? May help you out a little? Good luck & hang in there.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #47
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;466571
Not sure everything you have tested/checked so far but SBFtech.com has a good write up on EFI no start? May help you out a little? Good luck & hang in there.
SBFtech.com looks like a good site, but I can't register because the "visual verification" is not working so it won't let me sign up and there is no way to contact an admin to tell them there is a problem. Could you please do that for me? I had this problem before on another site and it literally took months to find a member who could tell the admin there was a problem!

Reply #48
Quote from: thunderjet302;466570
Attach the ground for the oxygen sensor wire.

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Is the pump getting power? If the key is turned to on you should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two then shut off.

I think what I am hearing is the fuel pump relay click on and off, but I can't say that I actually hear it prime. Is the relay in the trunk near the inertia switch? I'd like to try bypassing the relay and getting power directly to the fuel pump to see if it will start then, and also that would pretty much let me know the relay is not functioning correctly.

Reply #49
Quote from: 50RACER;466561
Also, when trying to crank the engine,  the small ground wire off the battery cable that attaches to the inside of the fender well gets really hot after only a few seconds of cranking. That doesn't seem normal to me.

Thoughts?
This is bad. This is the first thing you need to fix.
Check your large battery ground cable connection on the engine. I suspect it is loose or disconnected.

Reply #50
Quote from: 50RACER;466562
And then there is this wire that has been cut off at some point that is coming out of the bottom right harness / plug that is at the right rear of the intake manifold. The wiring diagram says is goes to the RIGHT EGO GND. Is this a ground that should probably attach to the firewall?

BOOM Get that  wire grounded!!!!!

I still have no idea why this is. I found it out the hard way after first doing my H.O. top end swap on the red car over 10 years ago.
That pissed me off then and still  me off a little bit. Why? WHY? It's for CLOSED GOD LOOP. And it's another harness.

Maybe it's for emissions reasons. So if the ECM thinks that the harness is missing altogether, it assumes that the car was desmogged haphazardly and will refuse to run? :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #51
Quote from: 50RACER;466573
I think what I am hearing is the fuel pump relay click on and off, but I can't say that I actually hear it prime. Is the relay in the trunk near the inertia switch? I'd like to try bypassing the relay and getting power directly to the fuel pump to see if it will start then, and also that would pretty much let me know the relay is not functioning correctly.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe it's near the inertia switch in the trunk. I think it's green in color.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #52
Quote from: thunderjet302;466581
I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe it's near the inertia switch in the trunk. I think it's green in color.

I just pulled out my Ford EVTM Book, the fuel pump relay is in the trunk area above the right side wheel well area. You are correct thunderjet302, it is green in color unless someone replaced with an aftermarket relay.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #53
Quote from: 87 T-BIRD;466584
I just pulled out my Ford EVTM Book, the fuel pump relay is in the trunk area above the right side wheel well area. You are correct thunderjet302, it is green in color unless someone replaced with an aftermarket relay.
So I  should be able to bypass the fuel relay by removing the connector, jump across  from the hot wire with the key on, to the (I believe it is the pink black) wire to the fuel pump and it should start pumping fuel.

Reply #54
Quote from: 50RACER;466586
So I  should be able to bypass the fuel relay by removing the connector, jump across  from the hot wire with the key on, to the (I believe it is the pink black) wire to the fuel pump and it should start pumping fuel.

Yes if you apply a 12 volt power source to the PK/BK wire it should come on as long as the ground wire is good and the PK/BK wire is good. You can also jump the Red or Yellow wire to the PK/BK.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #55
The T/LG wire is the computer ground circuit for the relay. If you attach your test light lead to a 12v power source and then turn the key on it should light for approximately 2-3 seconds and the go off. If you go to crank mode it should light and stay on as you crank the engine.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

Reply #56
Check the negative battery cable  connection on the engine.
The little ground wire getting hot probably means you are drawing the starter motor load through the little wire instead of the main battery cable.
This could cause the voltage to sag too low to run the pump.

Reply #57
The TAN/Light Green wire that comes from the EEC to provide ground for the pump relay also goes to the self test connector.
Grounding the T/LG wire at the test connector should cause the pump to run as long as the key is on.

Reply #58
Quote from: 87 T-BIRD;466584

I thought I remembered correctly. I didn't have my 88 EVTM handy to check. It should be accessible by removing the trunk lining on the right (passenger) side.

Reply #59
Quote from: softtouch;466589
Check the negative battery cable  connection on the engine.
The little ground wire getting hot probably means you are drawing the starter motor load through the little wire instead of the main battery cable.
This could cause the voltage to sag too low to run the pump.

The battery cable should be grounded to the timing cover, near the power steering pump. You may have to look under the car to find it.

Quote from: softtouch;466590
The TAN/Light Green wire that comes from the EEC to provide ground for the pump relay also goes to the self test connector.
Grounding the T/LG wire at the test connector should cause the pump to run as long as the key is on.

Try this first. It'll by pass the pump relay. Then you can check the relay if the pump runs. That is if fixing the battery cable ground doesn't solve the issue.