Skip to main content
Topic: yet another strange noise out of the 5.0 (Read 1760 times) previous topic - next topic

yet another strange noise out of the 5.0

im not sure what it is exactly, it sounds like loose valvetrain components but it only seems to happen above about half throttle, most noticeably when in third or overdrive at lower speeds, the car also seems to knock when started after sitting but it goes away like the oil pump is lazy, definitly need all the advice i can get on this one

Reply #1
That sounds like to much clearance in the rod bearings!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #3
milk it with rotella 15w40 until your ready to rebuild..  there is less load so to speak on the engine at D and OD so any excessive play will alow you to hear the float of the pieces parts as they flop around.  with a good motor, nothing really ever touches , the thin film of oil supplied by the pump creates a hydraulic effect so things are moving on the oil only.

Reply #4
well thats about the exact wrong thing i wanted to hear lol, it sure does sound like its coming from right under the valve covers though, it makes zero noise other than the slight startup knock when not in gear

Reply #5
well, then switch up to a thicker oil and let it roll, it may just be at that point where you may not have to worry about it right now.

Ive been running a slight little tap on my 2Oth when i got her with 148k miles.  Ive got 270k now and its the same  noise off and on that it was back then.

just start chaning the oil more often and do your preventative maint.

do you have smoke coming out the valve cover when you remove the cap to add oil?

Reply #6
The 5.0, if it's worn out, or has been ran low on oil a lot, you'll get constant upper end noise.

If it knocks now and has for some time, better figure on a needing a good block...I'm sure the cylinders are probably like funnels. My mountaineer's 5.0 is the same way.
I know you don't want to hear this, but when you have an occasional knock in the bottom of a high mile engine...it'll never heal itself.

The good: there's lots of 5.0 Exploders/Mountys in the yards to harvest a decent engine from. Plus they come with the great heads, intakes, and TB's :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
yeah,, im always on the look out for that self healing motor myself.  now when we figure out how to do that, we've got it made.

Reply #8
yeah it actually does smoke out of the valve cover, the stupid thing is this car only has 114k on it, it shouldnt make this much noise in my mind

Reply #9
Check the bearings in the serpentine  asembily

I've had smog pumps alts and water pumps make noise that sounds like valve train problem

I pulled a intake once and it was just a smog pump going bad

A good tool to have is a mechanics stethoscope so you can pin point where it's coming from

Reply #10
Quote from: STANG8U;404967

A good tool to have is a mechanics stethoscope so you can pin point where it's coming from

or a wooden dowel,, same difference

Reply #11
Yea but its amazing what you can here with those things

Reply #12
ill check that out, stupid thing is the car is an 85 so to do a swap i either go carburetor or do alot of wiring for sefi, either one isnt necessarliy an option since i have to drive it every day, the hardest thing to pinpointing this is that it doesnt do it when the car is parked so its impossible to physically see something thats wrong, you just hear the sound

Reply #13
Get a long block 5.0 that is out of a known running car.  Typically you can find one on any of the Mustang boards for cheap.  There are several threads on here on who to convert over to carburetor or mass air.  If you start now and plan it you will be surprised at how quickly you can amass all the parts and if you have the spare motor you can dress it out to where it is ready to bolt in and you should be able to knock it out in a long weekend.  I converted my 93 Coupe from a 4 cylinder over to a 5.0 mass air car in less than a week but I also swapped in a full suspension, 8.8 rear, exhaust, and brakes.  Planning, planning, and more planning.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #14
then again im sure youve done it before and had the proper tools, itd take me eve longer because i have to get a hoist and find a couple extra sets of hands, and the space to actually acomplish the swap