Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Turbocoupe to 302 EFI & T5 Swap. (Read 10406 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Turbocoupe to 302 EFI & T5 Swap.

Stripped the Cougar for parts.  I've been waiting for the right moment to start a thread about this project.  I just got the motor in and it's sitting under it's own weight now.  I'd say it's time for pics!

Definitely a work in progress so no hating even if you think it's wrong to put a v8 in a TC.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #1
Good work. On the Turbo coupe site there is a problem putting a v8 into a TC. But I think in here it is ok.  So is the yellow cowl for the car?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #2
I am gonna run the cowl hood and murder the outside of the car.  I'm thinking flat black with gloss black flames?

If not then it'll be gloss or satin black with the same color rims.  Snowflakes FTW! 

Moar pics!  Do these pics sit well with the cat folk?  I'm sorry, I really am.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #3
no hatin from me, I'm doing the same thing with an 88TC so I may be watching over your shoulder a bit when it comes to the mass air setup. most of mine is done just need to do a few more little things.

Reply #4
I would be more upset with whoever painted it that color than you for putting it out of its misery :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
choked back a few tears seeing the pics of the yellow cat..  I really loved that car :(

Reply #6
This mass air is calibrated via a chip in the computer.  It's simply spliced into two wires in the harness.  If needed I can give more detail but it really is not my specialty.  It's also running 24lb injectors.  It ran good when I pulled it except the water pump was bad.  Aluminum heads are good though.  I didn't overheat it.  I've changed thermostat and water pump before putting this motor in.

Clutch pedals are in, tomorrow I'm gonna drop the tank and put in a 190 or 255lph fuel pump.  Then hook up the clutch cable and speedo.  I may need a harness for a T5 to body.  Not even sure what speedo gear I'm gonna need either.  But that's not important to make it run.  I could use some help in this department on the wiring harness for the EFI Mass Air harness.  Which needs spliced and all.  To much work but I want it done soon.  :P

Edit:  I saved every piece of her.  The body had rusted bad underneath and the strut towers were bad on both sides.  Still alot of her lives.  Soon.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #7
i am surprised it took this long to strip the yellow car. we had a short discussion about that car at the thundercat day in KY.

as far as goldmember goes, i took a lil trip down memory lane and found this:
Quote from: Chuck W;178761

Be sure when you repaint it you do it in the factory color ;)

do it up right, john! :D
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #8
One day.  Right now it's gonna be a daily driver.  I just want it together as fast as possible.  So far I've got 6 dollars in the paintjob and I'm trying to keep it cheap.  I'm hoping under 60 bucks.  2 quarts base flat black and 1 court clear.  It'll be a learning experience though.  Never painted much.

Edit: I just want to drive it...

Things I ran into so far this project. Master cylinder spacer to allow for clutch cable adjustment.  Also  you do need a clutch pilot tool if you want to do the job at all....  I've had a rough last year.  I was surprised it took this long.  I need a t-bird in my life right at the moment.  I'll feel so much better driving this thing around.  Just like the old days.  Hopefully less speeding tickets.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #9
Claude!  Where's my visit? Next time you're in the neighborhood...

Project Thread with pics

Reply #10
Sometimes you have to kill one..... to keep one living.

I think a 5.0 in a Turbocoupe is a cool thing.
Mike

Reply #11
Quote from: blu84302;330778
Master cylinder spacer to allow for clutch cable adjustment.

Got a pic of this before you put it in? I'm curious of what to make one out of..I need one too.;)

Likin' the project...what's inside the motor? Stock stuff, or is it built a little?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #12
Edlebrock aluminum heads, cam, & intake. 

I just used a piece of steal and put it between the master cylinder and firewall.  I used a piece of flat stock because it had to fit between the bolts.  I'll try to get a pic posted today.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #13
Dropped the tank, modified the sending unit to run a 255LPH Fuel pump. Tanks back in the car.  Got the exhaust over the rear end.  Battery tray and a lot of the wiring is "Routed" in a mockup fashion.  My Coil for the AC was pretty badly damaged in storage.  Not sure if I'm going to install the AC afterall.  Here's a pic of my modified 84 fuel pump.  All I had to do was hack off the metal pipe to allow for the size of the 255LPH fuel pump.  It's got a brand new strainer on it also.  I found the strainer to be for a 1986 Mercury Cougar.  The 86 mustang was a different strainer.  It needed to be angled like that so it wouldn't interfere with the level float.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #14
Here's a few more pics of the engine bay progress.  Looks like a rats nest!  I'm hoping to have lots of progress by the end of next week.  I've been off work way to long. :(

Project Thread with pics