Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Turbocoupe to 302 EFI & T5 Swap. (Read 10804 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Turbocoupe to 302 EFI & T5 Swap.

Reply #30
If it's valve train and it was really loud, it'll be easy to find!  There will be at least one really loose rocker.  Once you locate it, then it'll be a matter of determining which problem you have.

I have no idea on your level of experience, but checking the valve train is a good place to start.  I have seen many different causes for a knocking or clattering noise on the first start up.  The key is to have a methodical diagnostic process and not make assumptions (which can cause you to take things apart which aren't the problem).

I'll check in with you tomorrow.  Let us know what you find.

Reply #31
PS- Everyone don't be too sad for that yellow cougar, not only did it give life to Blu's tbird, it gave it's header panel to fix my wrecked cat:
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #32
The yellow cat was a cool cat indeed.  However I'm no Daminc when it comes to to fixing rusted strut towers and such.  I'll be lucky to get this beast on the road before it's to cold to ride the bike.  (which is my only mode of transportation at the moment.  Cow-gone take me away!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #33
Blu - I don't think the dogbones are supposed to come off the surface of the block.  It appears that your lifters are too tall or the lifter cylinders too short.  Is that an XXX block (roller cam block)?  Something definitely is not right there.

Reply #34
Here is a picture of the standard Ford 5.0 roller lifters...

It looks like from your other thread that the lifters you're using may be too tall?  Don't go pulling the engine apart.  This is your issue.  Just got to get the lifter situation figured out.

Reply #35
She sounded so good when she was running right.  I can't wait to get this thing mobile.  I need a cure to this bad scratch fever.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

Zomg update

Reply #36
Update time.  With pics.  Motor is all cleaned up and awaiting the new head gaskets that should be here after 4pm.  Time is going to move quickly now.  Gotta get this thing running.  Was hoping for a high lift cam and a blow thru carb on it.  Maybe if I find the right intake and carb.  Then a quick trip to JEGs could net good results.  Going to stick with the stock roller lifters and dogbones.  Figure it's good enough. :P  Sooooooo.  Onto the pics I guess. 

-NNY

Project Thread with pics

Reply #37
Moar!

"Can you feel the pulse?  Can you feel the heat rising from below?  Can you feel the energy?  It's gaining strength, oh so slowly. But I'll wait."

-AFI

Project Thread with pics

Reply #38
Uh oh!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/1881985688.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/1942037369.html

Project Thread with pics

Reply #39
Is that a roller block ? I don't see the mounting holes for the spider that holds down the dog bones .
 And I could be mistaken but  I  think stock roller lifters are to tall for some non roller blocks .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #40
Correct.  This is not a roller block but was drilled and tapped for the spider hold down.  I'm going to put it back together and run it with the stock roller lifters and dog bones.  Nothing like doing it all wrong...

Project Thread with pics

Reply #41
Just arranged for pickup of the 800 double pumper and the super vic jr. intake.  head gaskets are in.  Gotta order a bunch of stuff now.  Maybe custom cam????  I need info of a good high lift cam under .600 at .50. Well I hope this isn't in over my head but I'm going to go for it. Maybe order linked lifters.  I found them for 230ish.  Might as well.  Roller rockers?  1.7?

Edit:  Valve springs are going to be the weak link.  Does anyone know a cheap partnumber for some hydraulic roller cam valve springs.  140lb seat maybe 350lb open?  I'm guessing there.

Project Thread with pics

Reply #42
Am I crazy?  Claude!

Project Thread with pics

Reply #43
JMHO , I think you should take a step back and decide what your goals are with this car .

How are you going to use it ? road race car, drag racer , street bruiser?
 The engine needs to be built according to the end result you are shooting for , it's all about the combination of parts and the camshaft is probably the most important part  in the equation .
 Some people will tell you that dual plane intakes are the way to go , others will tell you they are useless .
I think it depends on many factors , there are some people that will tell you there is only one "right" way to do it.
I say YOU have to decide what is "right " for you :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #44
So far I'm putting this back together with the EFI intake, unless I can utilize the 7322 cam that's in it with the 800 carb and vic jr.  Then I'm going to pick up a roller 302 block with forged internals and start building that one with the cam, and eventually swap the heads to that motor and maybe spray it.  By that time hopefully all the bugs are worked out of the drivetrain and chassis.  Maybe upgrade some parts like the caster camber plates, shocks struts all the way around and most definetly the system.  Cruising real slow so the chicks can notice is the end result/goal.  Moar pics very, very soon.  Watching paint dry.

Project Thread with pics