Skip to main content
Topic: vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it! (Read 15512 times) previous topic - next topic

vibration thread - aluminum driveshaft cures it!

Reply #30
Try a different driveshaft first. Easier than anything else to change.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #31
Guys I have had the rearend completely gone through by a very talented local guy.  All he does is build rearends and specializes in high performance builds.  Everyone within 30 miles holds him in high regard (and he is a Ford guy).  He supposedly put in a complete bearing set (even axle bearings), set the backlash, etc.  It does have the proper addititve for posi-trac.  He basically blew it apart and went through it.  Not saying he didnt miss something, I just feel that he would be as capable as anyone else around here.

The exhaust is newer, so that shouldnt be the cause.

I did put new u-joints in maybe 7500 miles ago and there was no change in the vibration afterwards.

Tom--yes the vibration damper thing on the rearend is still intact.  It has a Ford carrier and gearset, not aftermarket.  I am going to try to unbolt and rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees to see what that does.

The clunking in reverse, etc sure sounds like a suspension component.  I guess I need to jack it up and pry around under there again to see what I can see.  I have had it up in the air multiple times but can't get it to replicate the sound on jackstands.  I have retorqued all the bolts.  I did use the bolts that were supplied with the CHE control arms.

I may try to drive the car later and record the sound for you all. 

Thanks for the flood of suggestions/advice.  This is a very frustrating issue.  It seems to put me in a bad mood every time I drive the car.  It has gone on so long its easy to lose track of what all I have done to try and fix it!  Good thing is, I dont drive the car much or have to rely on it for a dd.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #32
Wow. Pretty messed up. That's all I've got to say right now! Hope you find the culprit.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #33
I have been fighting this very same 70+ mph vibration issue as well. Ive done pretty much the same steps that you have taken. My next step I think is going to try new rotors. Even tho you stated that you have had your rotors turned couldn't they still be off ballance being they are vented couldn't there be an offballance inside the vents with different areas corroding more than another place. Such as in my case the car sat for quite a while?
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #34
I'll find it, its only a matter of time!  lol.  I wish someone had a alum DS I could put on to see if that would cure it.  I hate to spend $400+ for one and it not work.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #35
Quote from: bigbada1;382321
I have been fighting this very same 70+ mph vibration issue as well. Ive done pretty much the same steps that you have taken. My next step I think is going to try new rotors. Even tho you stated that you have had your rotors turned couldn't they still be off ballance being they are vented couldn't there be an offballance inside the vents with different areas corroding more than another place. Such as in my case the car sat for quite a while?

At this point nothing would surprise me!  My rearend came out of a TC with a bad trans.  When I found it, it had been sitting on the rotors in the dirt with no wheels for god knows how long.  So what you are saying actually makes a ton of sense. 

Rotors/pads are actually not that pricey to replace either...

Reply #36
I have had this issue since buying the car. Since buying the car I have had 2 different 2.3 and t5 in the car and it currently has been swapped over to at 5.0 T5 combo.
Had vibration will all stock suspension.
Vibration with ballanced DS.
Had a shop check out the rearend and install new axel bearing vibration still there.
All new CHE suspension parts front and rear with new shocks and lowered also had pinion angle set by a shop still have vibration.
All new wheels and tires vibration is still there.
The dam rotors are the only thing I can come up with that I havent changed. The only other thing I am going to try besides rotors is I bought an AL Driveshaft a few months back and plan on having it cut down and ballanced.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #37
Well I'm gonna be pissed if its the rotors after all the other things I've tried, lol.  I am like you, the rotors are one of the last options.

Reply #38
I too will be pissed mostly due to the cost of what I have done to the car to try and find it just to find out that its a dam cheep set of rotors. LOL
87 TC

Reply #39
Seems like I've read this happening before..I think it was Vinnie?... The driveshaft cured the issue in whomever's case, anyhow.
Do you know anyone local that you could borrow their d/s from to test?
Hell, I'd loan you mine even..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #40
Actually if I put new rotors on the car and the vibration is gone I will probably jump and dance around like just won the super bowl
87 TC

Reply #41
Quote from: bigbada1;382332
I too will be pissed mostly due to the cost of what I have done to the car to try and find it just to find out that its a dam cheep set of rotors. LOL

I just look it as hey, I now have a ton of cool upgrades that have improved the car overall. 

I don't know how good the quality is, but here are some rotors at Advance Auto for $27.59/ea.

Reply #42
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;382334
Seems like I've read this happening before..I think it was Vinnie?... The driveshaft cured the issue in whomever's case, anyhow.
Do you know anyone local that you could borrow their d/s from to test?
Hell, I'd loan you mine even..

No, I don't think anyone near me would have one I could borrow.  I think Vin had a Crown Vic DS modified to work on his Sport.

So do you think that even though I had the stock DS professionally balanced, it could still cause my issue?  I don't know what to believe anymore, lol.

Reply #43
It's worth a shot. I don't think the rotors would be the culprit...or you'd feel the vibration at all speeds. But the d/s has hamonics, because it's long, slender, and spins at (now) higher rpm....the rotor don't have nearly as much torsional force on them...

Basically, what I'm trying to say...at a certain speed, the harmonic in your d/s causes it to come out of round a little...hence the vibration at a certain speed.

I read some detailed info on how exactly it happens, usually an aluminum d/s cures the issue...I guess better casting or extruding techniques or however an AL d/s is made...

Ive got an aluminum d/s from a CVPI...still needs cut down. If it was already, I'd loan it to you to test...I'm willing to bet that's the problem. lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #44
I had a slightly bent rear axle that caused the same problem at 70+mph. Replaced it and the drum on that side and all has been good sense then. I still have the stock drive shaft and 3.73 gears with no vibration issues. I did have mine balanced though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.