Skip to main content
Topic: Got rear ended Monday night..... (Read 8351 times) previous topic - next topic

Got rear ended Monday night.....

Reply #15
Your Carfax should bring a good return when time to sell. :deal:  I had someone rear-end me while sitting on side of the road. Pushed through a barb wire fence and he backed up and drove off. Never checked to see if he killed me or not.
Same car, 74 GT Celica... I was outside the driver's door off the freeway shoulder, bent down changing a burnt fuse to my headlights when going early to work and a lady came off the exit and ripped the driver's door off my car while I was holding on to it. Edge of my door left a dent almost dead center on her hood, so I figure she missed me by a millimeter and a half, maybe.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #16
Fortunately for me I plan on being this cars only owner. It's going to the junk yard after I'm through with it. I've had it for 4 years and it only has 41K miles on it. By the time it's worn out (150K+) it'll be 15 years old and a rusty POS :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
And the Focus got rear ended again today and then later in the day hit in the rear bumper while parked :hick:.

My wife was driving the Focus to work this morning. She was slowing as traffic in front was slowing down. A gentleman in a work van did not slow down and hit her. Damage was minimal, just some paint chips and a minor scuff (about $470 worth of damage).

After my wife came home I took the car to the body shop we use to get the estimate (I've been in there so much they know my name and the Focus :hick:). My wife and I then went to lunch. As we were eating we noticed one of those old ladies who can barely drive pull in next to the Focus.  She came in (barely could walk in), got a sandwich,  and left. As she backed out I noticed she was close to the Focus.  After we finished eating we went outside and the lady had scuffed the rear bumper on Focus backing out. Nice old lady. Just hit a car and run.

The scuff doesn't add any cost to the repair as the bumper was getting painted anyways (body shop guy was surprised yet not surprised to see me twice in the same day). I'm just pissed that the old lady hit the car and ran.

It's a good thing I plan on keeping this Focus till it dies. The carfax has to look like a horrible rash.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Could be worse, and I know what you mean about seniors: When I bought my Mustang it gave my father new car fever. He bought one of those ugly 2015 Cherokee Trailhawks. When it had 3900km on it he backed into a tree while trying to back up to the dumpster at a campground (this despite the rearview camera). Had to replace the rear bumper and tail light and have the rear quarter straightened out. Then about three months later my mother pulled a senior (mashed the wrong pedal) and hit a pole at the local grocery store. She hit it hard enough that the bumper support behind the plastic cover was V-shaped and pushed the radiator into the engine. $8000 later they got the Jeep back. Then about a week ago my mother comes to my place to borrow my truck. She missed the driveway coming in and went right into the ditch. No damage but I had to pull her out with the truck. The Jeep doesn't even have 9000 km on it. Worse, ever since Dad bought it he's been bragging that the red tow hooks on his Trailhawk are for pulling Chevys out of the mud, and I've been bugging him that he bought a Dart with a lift kit. I can't even tell him how handy those tow hooks were for pulling his Jeep out of the ditch, because I promised Mom I wouldn't tell him.

So yeah, old people....
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #19
Quote from: MY83T;449582
People cannot drive......

Or stop, apparently....:shakeass:

I rear ended a chick (no, not like that) once back in '99 when she stopped to keep from hitting a little old lady who spilled coffee on her leg and figured that the middle of main street was as good a place as any to clean the mess up. (I knew the little old lady had gotten a coffee as I was behind her at mcdonalds when she got it).

Scuffed her bumper (again, not like that) and managed to talk my way out of a ticket.

Happy New year y'all.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #20
I know it could have been worse (so could any of the incidents the car has been in) but thankfully it wasn't. I'm tired of the car getting hit. It drives me nuts that I bought the thing brand new with no damage and every bit of damage to the car has been caused by some other idiot.

I really wish that older people who don't have all their marbles would stop driving. If you can't move well or heck even TURN AROUND when you back your car up you probably shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle.

Reply #21
Had a thought years ago that some vehicles were possibly more pr0ne to rear ends.  An older coworker in 1970 had just bought a new Olds Cutlass.  Sharp looking car with slit like brake lights (If I remember right?).  He was rear ended just a week into ownership.  I saw it--trunk was mashed nearly to the rear window. Wow was he ever pissed off.  I just wondered if glare interfered with others seeing his brake lights. 
Recently, a coworker driving a company bus was rear ended in the Chicago Suburbs.  The driver was a woman who managed to total the steel bumper on the bus and got into the body as well.  Her SUV was totaled (I saw those pics).  It takes a lot of energy to do that to a bus.  She claimed she did not SEE the bus.  I guess she was right because she must have never hit her brakes.  How do you not see the rear of a BUS? 

Redd

Reply #22
Quote from: JKATHRE;453393
How do you not see the rear of a BUS? 

Kinda hard to see a bus with a phone in your face
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #23
Quote from: JKATHRE;453393
Had a thought years ago that some vehicles were possibly more pr0ne to rear ends.  An older coworker in 1970 had just bought a new Olds Cutlass.  Sharp looking car with slit like brake lights (If I remember right?).  He was rear ended just a week into ownership.  I saw it--trunk was mashed nearly to the rear window. Wow was he ever pissed off.  I just wondered if glare interfered with others seeing his brake lights. 
Recently, a coworker driving a company bus was rear ended in the Chicago Suburbs.  The driver was a woman who managed to total the steel bumper on the bus and got into the body as well.  Her SUV was totaled (I saw those pics).  It takes a lot of energy to do that to a bus.  She claimed she did not SEE the bus.  I guess she was right because she must have never hit her brakes.  How do you not see the rear of a BUS? 

Redd

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;453395
Kinda hard to see a bus with a phone in your face

I'm going with the "phone in your face" reason as to why it has happened to me so many times. The Focus has THREE bright red brake lights at eye level.

Reply #24
Yep --phone in face.  This video is pretty sobering as to being rear ended and beyond, especially if you are pushed into further harms way.  After watching it, I certainly want my belt on.  The other thought: So, you want to walk along the side of a highway?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaHKjjsocm0

Reply #25
I watched a ton of those videos in the past and that one is definitely no joke
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #26

A good friend was driving the blue car, which once was a nice '89 Stang LX 5.0, another guy built the engine, and it was fast. My friend was driving too ed fast, lost control, and slid sideways into the van. 6 people died of the 8 combined, the two survivors are paralyzed.

Slow down, buckle up, and may you never know the sickening feeling of having only memories of friends and loved ones.

This happened May 10 2003. It still feels like yesterday...and yesterdays are all we have of some people...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #27
See the thing is I don't (well usually :hick:) drive like a jack ass and I never use the phone when driving. The problem is most other people aren't like me, as proven by my car repeatedly getting hit.

Reply #28
I usually get pissed off when I see another driver being erratic, or whatever....usually there's a phone involved, or food, or makeup.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #29
My last truck washiznit 4 times in the same parking lot (at work) in less than a year. The first 3 times were minor to no damage to my already damaged rear bumper. But the last and worse one was a hit and run that I didn't find out about until the next day when I saw that my rear quarter was now concave instead of convex. Yes, I was pissed. And now I've also learned to park my new truck in between parking spaces in the corner of the lot lol.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L