Skip to main content
Topic: Lincoln Mark VII parts of value... (Read 1998 times) previous topic - next topic

Lincoln Mark VII parts of value...

So, I've been looking through here, but I don't see much info on Lincoln Mark VII parts as to whether they can be successfully swapped to a Bird or Cat. I'm curious about the rear springs and the front and rear sway bars mostly, and how they compare to the Fox-body Mustang and Turbocoupe/XR7 options.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #1
TC bar is bigger, as is a 5.0 Stang...not sure at all the springs can be used...do they have springs? Pretty sure they're air ride...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Front Bar is smaller than a TC  and the rear bar  wont bolt up with out modification to the car , and yes they are air ride equipped
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #3
odd... the one i saw today had springs. must be a conversion kit. i may just try them out and hope i get lucky/post results. but yeah, i had hope the sway bar would be bigger. oh well... thanks for the input.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #4
Quote from: jncocowboyx;362674
odd... the one i saw today had springs. must be a conversion kit. i may just try them out and hope i get lucky/post results. but yeah, i had hope the sway bar would be bigger. oh well... thanks for the input.

Conversion kits were quite common on them , I personally am not a fan of the coil conversions on them .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
I was looking at a Mark 7 last weekend for the brakes, axles, etc, and noticed the rear bar bolts up differently than 'Birds and Cougars....ours bolt to the lower control arms.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;362684
I was looking at a Mark 7 last weekend for the brakes, axles, etc, and noticed the rear bar bolts up differently than 'Birds and Cougars....ours bolt to the lower control arms.

More than likely due to the air ride suspension
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #7
I have seen a few mark VII's that came factory with coil spring suspension.  I wish I could have snagged one when I had the chance!  I'm not sure what Lincoln's method was when they furnished them with air or coils?  I do know they had the Bill Blass edition and the LSC, not sure if that mattered or not.

Reply #8
Quote from: beast50;364357
I have seen a few mark VII's that came factory with coil spring suspension.  I wish I could have snagged one when I had the chance!  I'm not sure what Lincoln's method was when they furnished them with air or coils?  I do know they had the Bill Blass edition and the LSC, not sure if that mattered or not.

All mark VIIs came with air ride from the factory,  no matter the trim level . The LSC cars had a different air spring than the other models , the base was different to provide a stiffer ride .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #9
Yeah, I was wrong.  I assumed if they had struts up front they did not have airbags. I had a 1984 Continental on a fox chassis.  It had the airbag suspension (rode awesome when they stayed inflated!) I do not remember it having shocks and struts.  I googled Mark VII's and found some cool facts!  Makes me want one!

Reply #10
No they all didn't come with air ride. There was a model year or two that DID have coil springs, but IIRC that was at the beginning of their existence. When I put a MKVII rear axle and front spindle/rotor setup in my car it had the coil setup under it. I checked with a friend that was (recently retired) the service/parts manager at a local Lincoln dealership about that. They weren't really that common though. They switched to the air ride setup because they wanted a smother ride..........ya ok.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]