Skip to main content
Topic: ?? About throttle bodys (Read 3201 times) previous topic - next topic

?? About throttle bodys

Has anyone ever used "Professional Products" brand throttle body? They are priced lower than other brands but are they any good?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #2
Guys with Mustangs run them all the time and I haven't heard any complaints about them that have not been said about the other brands.

http://www.professional-products.com/Ford-5-0-1986-95-c149/

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #3
As a FYI they are made in China.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #4
I have one on my car. No issues.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #6
Im  ready to purchase a new TB and was just curious if they held up well.  For the price I may try one.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #7
I've had three. I had a 70mm on my car some time ago, felt it was too big, so I sold it and bought a 65mm. I then upgraded the engine and bought another 70. Never an issue with them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #8
I have a 75mm on the turbo 86 XR7.....seems like a quality part for the money.

Travis

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #9
When I upgraded my intake system from an Edelbrock Performer RPM to the newer style  Edelbrock Performer RPM II, I changed to the Professional Products 75MM T/B and added an Anderson Ford Power Pipe and picked up almost 50 horse. The T/B has worked flawlessly and I have the polished version which looks good with the rest of the polished induction parts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #10
Quote from: gtbird;442635
When I upgraded my intake system from an Edelbrock Performer RPM to the newer style  Edelbrock Performer RPM II, I changed to the Professional Products 75MM T/B and added an Anderson Ford Power Pipe and picked up almost 50 horse. The T/B has worked flawlessly and I have the polished version which looks good with the rest of the polished induction parts.

Eventually I'm swapping a Performer RPM II onto my Thunderbird. I just have a few more tweaks to try with the GT40 intake and if they don't work it's intake swap time. Plus the RPM II just looks cool.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #11
I have the RPM II and unless you are going to run a stroker or twist a 302 to about 7,000 rpm I would suggest a different intake.  It was a dog compared to my TMoss ported Cobra upper and lower on my 306, I lost all kinds of low end torque and gained very little power under the curve with it.  With the 331 it has proven to be a better choice but its even better with a 347 from what I can tell with other guys running it with that combo.

The old saying of bigger is not always better definitely applied for me here.  The only reason I bought it was that I was going to build a stroker, I had the money, and I had a buyer for the Cobra upper and lower.

Darren

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #12
Quote from: Aerocoupe;442773
I have the RPM II and unless you are going to run a stroker or twist a 302 to about 7,000 rpm I would suggest a different intake.  It was a dog compared to my TMoss ported Cobra upper and lower on my 306, I lost all kinds of low end torque and gained very little power under the curve with it.  With the 331 it has proven to be a better choice but its even better with a 347 from what I can tell with other guys running it with that combo.

The old saying of bigger is not always better definitely applied for me here.  The only reason I bought it was that I was going to build a stroker, I had the money, and I had a buyer for the Cobra upper and lower.

Darren

My plan for this year is to install a shift light so I can get accurate shifts at the track. I want to try some shift points between 5500-5800rpm and see what gets the best results. Then perhaps swap to another intake. I would realistically prefer a Performer RPM I but they are harder to find than a RPM II. I think the RPM I would be a good fit (only gives up a tiny bit of torque to the GT40 but has good gains above 5000rpm). I know the Typhoon is just a Chinese copy of the RPM I but I'd rather not run a Chinese intake on my engine.

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #13
Run a ported Cobra or Explorer intake as with your combo you will make more power than the Edelbrock RPM II.

Darren

?? About throttle bodys

Reply #14
Quote from: Aerocoupe;442789
Run a ported Cobra or Explorer intake as with your combo you will make more power than the Edelbrock RPM II.

Darren

But the RPM II looks cool. Isn't that what really matters ;).

If one goes and looks at the old Anderson Ford intake shoot out the GT40, Edelbrock Performer, and Trick Flow Street Heat intakes all make within 10hp and 10ft/lbs torque of each other. These are stock non-ported intakes. The original Edelbrock Performer RPM intake made about 5-10ft/lbs less torque under 3000rpm but about 15-20hp more above 5000rpm. Being that I have a 2800rpm stall converter and 3.73 gears in my car I'd gladly run the original RPM intake for the gain above 5000rpm and the faster revving. My car spends virtually no time under 3000rpm when accelerating, even on the street. The original RPM also shares the same runner cross section as the Performer which is why torque loss is much less than with the RPM II (the RPM II has a much larger runner cross section). If I could find an original RPM intake cheap I'd jump on it. If it didn't work out as I wanted I could always swap on a Performer upper and sell the RPM upper.

On another interesting note Tmoss has a 5.0 Mustang 'vert with GT40 heads, a small Crower cam, and a Systemax II intake. Seems like he should run a ported GT40 intake and his car should have no low end torque. When I asked him about it he said he really felt no noticeable torque loss with the Holley intake swapping from a GT40.