Skip to main content
Topic: heaven help the shadetree mechanic (Read 1167 times) previous topic - next topic

heaven help the shadetree mechanic

Right know i feel like an idoit doing this, but does anyone know a good book or program to help me figure out cars?  I'm trying to learn about mechanics in general, but websites (other than this one) never seem to help and I cant find any good books.  i know most people learn from others like relatives, but my dad only knows how to drive to the oil change place.  i'm trying to learn on the fly, but since i just blew a coil(msd too :shoothead )  trying to fix my car, im about ready to say screw it, dump the bird and get a focus.  any help would be very welcome.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #1
Don't feel bad, I killed off my MSD coil too. Get a Motorcraft replacement, they are much better.

I learned by taking parts off and putting them back on. Grab a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. That's about the only book I can tell you about. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #2
Quote from: tireshredder
im about ready to say screw it, dump the bird and get a focus.

focus's are nothing but turdburgalers, u could probably get one for pretty cheap, but thats all they are, cheaply made cars, and itll burn u everytime:flame: ...the whole suspension wears really fast on them, you'll end up putting more money in it then u think.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #3
Get a big Chilton's manual that covers your car and read over it,and study it.When I was starting out,before I would take my car apart,I'd go to the salvage yard and pull a similar car aprt first.That way I didn't ruin mine,and,by actually doing the work,you learn it.It's not a hard thing to do (working on cars),it's just understanding what you're doing.Once you understand what the function of the parts are,their purpose,it's easier to remove and replace things.Get under your car,under the hood,in the trunk,look under the dash.Get really familiar with it.There's always someone around the forums willing to help.Even people who have had these cars for years (18 years for me),have to ask for a little help sometimes.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Try looking into a generalized auto class at your local collage. Other than that head to the library.

Reply #5
i have a haynes, but it misses alot.  im trying to find a service manual because i heard those were very good. 
I also am thinking of trying to get a job at Autozone or a place like it, but i dont know if i need to know alot already or if i can learn on the job.
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

Reply #6
I still need to learn alot about cars too! But I did find the automotive articles on http://www.howstuffworks.com to be useful, at least to help me gain some knowledge in automotive principles.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #7
The best way to learn the basics is to do your own work, improvise when you have to, and learn from your mistakes. My first car (78 Trans Am with Lt1) was always breaking something, and I had zero money in high school, so I was always coming up with repairs (usually more "shady" than "shadetree"). I can still remember doing my first oil change, and a spectacular failure it was - learn from my mistake, put the oil drain plug in before refilling the engine, especially if the car is facing downhill. You will get oil on your sneakers otherwise.

You're luckier than I was, though - first, you started with a T-Bird (I had two Firebirds before finding my first Thunderbird), and second, you have access to a wealth of info and people willing to help right here on this website. I had no such luxury back in '89...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
Quote from: tireshredder
I also am thinking of trying to get a job at Autozone or a place like it, but i dont know if i need to know alot already or if i can learn on the job.

Good luck with that. I try every once and awhile but I've never even so much as gotten an interview. Jerks. :yuck:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #9
Stuff will break, no matter how experienced you are you will break shiznit werkin on your car.

My parents divorced when I was young and my step dad is not mechanical at all (he was a welder by trade so that gives you an idea of his intelegence) the best way to learn if you dont have someone at home to teach you is to find someone who can teach you. theres bound to be a neighbour or someone down the street who works on their cars, most of the time if you show a desire to learn a person will be more than happy to teach you.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #10
I also am thinking of trying to get a job at Autozone or a place like it

If they have an employee discount on parts, fine.  Most people who work at those places know nothing about vehicles.  Nothing wrong with that.  They could be hanest and tell you that though instead of lying to you.  I love catchin them lie to people.  It makes for interesting conversation afterward!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
Hmm, I have had my fair share of autozone employee's.

This one time, I needed a serpintine belt and they told me they were out of them. So I asked if they had any for a 91 crown vic (its the same engine, just backwards). They told me yes, but they wouldnt let me buy it cause they didn't want to deal with my mom or dad when I found out it wouldn't fit.

Anyways, long story short, my freind has a focus, he took it in three times to try to fix a surging problem. The third time, I came with him and said it was either bad spark, or a fuel problem. Then the ford dealership says, oh, there was a recall on the fuel pump. Ever since then it runs like a champ. But the windows wont roll down, and the dash lights wont stay on for more then a minute. Oh and my freind is 6'6" and the seat wont move either, and his mom is about 5'8".

Fun car when it works, shibby when it don't. Nothing like having to go into mcdonalds when you cant get your window to roll down, but tbird/cougar have this problem too.....

Just replace parts according to the manual, and sooner or later, it will click and you will know how to do it, or be able to skip all the extra pointless steps they put in there for no reason. There are lots of little parts that are easy to replace. The first thing I did on my car , or any car for that matter, was replace the disk and hub assembly, and caliper. It took me an hour the first time.

If you can't figure it out, you can always ask you fox boddied freinds or try the search. You will get it one way or another.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
My Uncle just retired from 35+ years with Amoco and now has a job at Advance Auto. Here's hoping he gets employee discounts :evilgrin:

Back on topic, the best way to learn at least for me, was to do it myself. I could watch until I was blue in the face but until I handled the job myself, I never knew how it was done.

I have the Chilton book and it does miss some things here and there. So when I have a problem, I look at the book, look at the car, look at the book, look at the car and so on. After comparing, if I can't figure out what I'm doing, I come here or search other forums looking for answers.

My dad taught me basic oil changes and changing tires and plugs and so forth.
My cousin taught me how to do brake work.
I learned how to change cylinder heads from a visit to a junkyard. I was fortunate to meet a guy who works on Mustangs as a hobby and after buying some parts from him, he offered to show me how to install them.

Knowing function helps and is invaluable when upgrading certain parts. But for a simple replacement, you don't need to know function. You just need to know how it comes off and how it goes back on which is pretty easy to find out when you can see what you're removing. ;)

Again, there is a wealth of information here as you know. If you come across something you're unsure of, post about it. You won't have anyone coming down on you.

car

Reply #13
It has been my experience that every car runs great when you buy it, but no matter what car you are talking about they all need maintenance and since most people dont' fix anything until it stops running when you get that used car often it needs all the little stuff one thing after another and you get to the point where you want to ditch it.  I wouldn't recommend you fight that urge because later on when you have a junk ass focus that needs work you will regret ditching the very capable t-bird.  Those cars have more quality than most of the low-end cars currently made.  Stick with it and remember practice makes perfect.  Once you have replaced all the little  that goes bad on old cars the car will become reliable transportation again.  Just use descent parts or you will be going back in often.  Good luck with it, Jason.

Reply #14
Quote from: 5.0willgoI learned how to change cylinder heads from a visit to a junkyard.[/quote

A visit to the junkyard with a bucket of tools can provide a wealth of information.  Find a car like yours,  or one with a similar engine and take that bad boy apart!  Take a friend or girlfriend  (weird to think but lots of girls like to go to the junkyard and get greasy) and learn together. 

AutoZone.....  If you can get a job there go for it!  I loved working for the Zone.  But here in southern Ohio people are generaly nicer than they are.... well.. Anywere else in the world.  I learned alot from the zone, knowing how to communicate the problem and what every item under the hood does...

Good site to start out with  www.fordfuelinjection.com  Read all of that first...

But I'll tell you, you've already taken a step in the right direction.
One 88