Skip to main content
Topic: Should I cut 'em? (Read 1256 times) previous topic - next topic

Should I cut 'em?

Picked these up on ePay. Should I cut 'em?
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #2
The way I am, I'd have to get another set. I'd keep them uncut until I got another set and then would compare the two and keep the nicest ones uncut.

This is coming from the guy who keeps diecast cars mint in the package unless he has 2 of the same ones. :crazy:

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #3
Zach, if you're just looking to have the "turbo" keys I could probably send ya the ignition cylinder and key from my parts TC - I'm pretty sure that has the plastic key and it's in good shape. The door cylinders you'd be on your own for, though, as the ones on the TC are all seized up.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #5
I have my "turbo" keys, came with my car when I bought it. Seems like everyone makes a big deal about them, do they get lost a lot or something?

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #6
Umm, they're still being made. I don't see the fascination with keeping them uncut?

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #7
Well, I was just thinking about the future.
Let's advance five years to a point where I will have this car "done." I plan on going over every nut and bolt of it.
I'd like to have the uncut set for car shows. Does that not make sense?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #8
No not really.  If you are really wanting an uncut set then just buy another set and cut one of them while they are still readily available.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #9
Well, I thought about that too. I have the original keys to the car. They look identical to the new keys that I bought.
I just didn't want to buy another set for that particular reason.
I have one major concern:
In 20 years' time, the keys and locks wear out. If I have these new keys cut, won't they get "notchy" and jam up in the locks? The tumblers inside the locks must be as worn as the keys are, right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #10
In 20 years' time, the keys and locks wear out. If I have these new keys cut, won't they get "notchy" and jam up in the locks?

I can't speak for your particular car, but I bought a brand new set of Ford keys for my car and had them cut.  (I could pull the original key out of the ignition while the car was running.)  I have never had any problems from the new keys.  They work fine in the locks and the ignition.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #11
As do mine. And BTW, those keys in your pic are the reproduction ones. I got about a half-dozen sets 2 years ago for $5. They're great to have cut and use instead of the originals, I've done it for all of my non-parts car TC's.

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #12
Well... I kind of feel like an idiot now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #13
Well... I kind of feel like an idiot now.

I wouldn't if I were you Zach.  You've got a nice car.  It's admirable that you think enough of it to want to preserve an uncut set of keys to show with it one day.  Wish I had one as nice as yours, especially with that shagy interior.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Should I cut 'em?

Reply #14
Thanks, Jim. Out of all of the Cougars I've had, I "connect" the most with this one. I absolutely love it... which is why it's so hard for me to decide what color(s) to paint it.

Also, the interior isn't as shagy as it looks in the pictures. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]