Skip to main content
Topic: More 5.0 HO Upper Swap Questions (Read 1041 times) previous topic - next topic

More 5.0 HO Upper Swap Questions

A couple of nitpicky things.

One, since the swap I have an intermittent "Check Oil" light coming on.  Never done this before.  I have unplugged and replugged the sending unit and this seems to work.  Any ideas?

Two, where did y'all find the 2 longer replacement bolts? I have looked everywhere and they all stop @ 6 inches.  I found some 7 inch bolts at Lowes, but the threading is too short and seems to bottom out on the spacer.  I currently have the original bolts in there and they grab pretty good, but I would fell better wit hmore threads in there.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #1
I did mine and the check engine light never came on. Are you sure that you plugged all the sensors back in or that the vac lines are all connected the correct way?

On the second point I'm not sure. The spacer I got came with new bolts.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I've checked and double-checked everything.  I found it strange that I could unplug/replug the wire from the sending oil sending unit and it would turn off - almost like a bad ground.  I'll just keep my eye on it. This is the original motor, with 49K original miles. A real find!

I still can't believe that I can't find those long bolts.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #3
Mine'll chime like crazy if I disconnect it.

Things to check.  The sending unit itself may be bad.  You may be in need of a new battery.  Seriously, run your car with the hood open and have someone give the battery a jiggle and watch what happens.  It makes mine do funky things with an 8 year old battery.

If you have one of the "updated" sending units (the medium sized one) there should be a resistor with it on the wire running to the harness.  Take it out and run the wire straight to the sender.  It'll read higher and won't chime.  I would verify that you have good pressure first. 

The picture below shows the resistor with the sending unit on the right.  The big unit on the left was replaced by this setup on full digital dashes.  If you have a base cluster with the small sending unit I'm unsure if you have the resistor.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
It hasn't happened in a couple of days now. Thanks for the tips.  I seem to remember having the smaller unit with the resistor - I have a full digital dash.

Any idea where I can find the 2 longer upper intake bolts?

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #5
I have found them at local hardware stores...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Wait a second.  You said that the "Check Oil" light was coming on, right?  Are you talking about the red light in the upper right corner of the instrument cluster?  If so, the oil level sensor is responsible for that.  That sensor is located in the oil pan itself.  You can see it plugged into the driver's side of the pan if you look under the car.  It may just need replacement.  It usually makes the light come on if the oil is one quart low or more.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #7
Quote from: jkirchman
Wait a second.  You said that the "Check Oil" light was coming on, right?  Are you talking about the red light in the upper right corner of the instrument cluster?  If so, the oil level sensor is responsible for that.  That sensor is located in the oil pan itself.  You can see it plugged into the driver's side of the pan if you look under the car.  It may just need replacement.  It usually makes the light come on if the oil is one quart low or more.

Thanks.  That's the beast.  I'll be checking that this evening.

88 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #8
If you drip some oil on the low oil level sensor it'll stay on as well. Make sure the wires and the sensor are clean as well. Uh don't ask why I know this;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Where can you get that resistor,thats the 1sst I heard of that.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #10
Basically any Ford product with a full digital dash and a 5.0 had them after 87 (I believe they made the switch from the larger sending unit sometime in the middle of the 87 model year) .....Cougar, T-bird, Mark VII, Town Car, etc.  I have a couple of spares from the junkyard that are in working order and have been tested in my car.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
So is the big sending unit more accurate than the small one with the resistor that I have?

Reply #12
how much will ported E7TE with 1.6 roller rockers add over stock heads? and how much will the HO cam over stock cam?
and does the computer add any horsepower?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.