Skip to main content
Topic: Don't look here, Oldraven.. (Read 2790 times) previous topic - next topic

Don't look here, Oldraven..

I don't know, maybe it's because my doctor took me off my only decent pain medication yesterday and I'm somewhere between fetal-position-hurting and shoot-me-now-hurting, (imagine you just got your ass kicked by an entire basketball team, but your doctor told you you couldn't take anything stronger than Tylenol for it, and that's about how I've felt all of today) but over on FordMuscle they posted yet another garbage news article about yet another garbage Mustang.. so I snapped. Here's what happened, and I'm the user 89LSC over there:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/ford-to-offer-shelby-gt-in-2007/112125

I'm not fishing for blind agreement here or anything of the sort.. I'm really just making conversation to take my mind off how awful I feel right now. But seeing as I'm one of those people who's assumed (by Oldraven, at least) to be a "die-hard Ford guy", I was curious to see what kind of reaction would come from people seeing me Ford-bash for a change. OK, fire away.. :p

Reply #1
maybe you should kick the Dr's ass until he gives up that script. I has got to be alot of pain for a ford guy to bash on him self. Hince I'd rather push a ford than drive a Chevy! Suck to here about that hope it gets better.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
I can't take much of anything right now. I start taking Amitriptyline tonight.. it has drug interaction warnings with just about everything on the market. I can't even have a beer to dull the pain. But, on the flip side, it will help with the sleep problems that come with fibromyalgia. I may actually get my first good night's sleep in years, even if the rest of the day blows chunks.

What else sucks right now is that we have another round of really wicked lightning storms headed this way, so I can't use my other pain-relief fallback, the heating pad. Blah.

By the way, my doctor's a woman. I wouldn't kick her ass. :p

EDIT: Well it looks like today's problems were me going into withdrawal because my doctor told me to stop taking the Ultram, and I took her too literally. I went from two every six hours to nothing, and now I'm a wreck. So I took some, and I'll reduce my dose over the next few days. Going to mention this when I talk to her again.

I'll probably get lynched for my latest follow-up post over there, daring to say I don't give a  about V8s.. but I don't care. I'm a left-handed Atheist who doesn't care much for V8s.. I'm already used to being at odds with most of the population. :p

Reply #3
I agree with your points.  I'm one of those that'd buy the brand if there was something reasonably interesting in the lots to look at. 

When I went car shopping not too long ago, I was looking at interesting cars that I could see myself driving in a year or two...  Did I stop by the Ford dealership?  Yeah, but I sure spent less time there then any other dealership I went to.  I would love to buy a Ford, but those Infinities and BMW's certainly have my eye more than they do.  Hell even Kia and Hyundia have their appealing aspects to me at this point.  They certainly aren't "fast" but the cougar holds that title and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But yes, it seems if you want "fast" and "fun" you need to step back in time a bit.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Reply #4
Aside from the Mustang and Fusion, Ford's got NOTHING. The Mustang is neat but a limited appeal car, and the Fusion is only just average in a field of highly competent competitors. The 500 is way behind the curve, the Focus is ancient, and the Crown Vic is just plain jurrassic. I already have a useless 2-dr RWD V8 car so I wouldn't buy a Mustang, and I'd take a Mazdaspeed 6 over a Fusion, so there is absolutely nothing compelling me to enter a Ford dealership were in the market for a new car. Now, once the 3.5 Duratec becomes widely available some of Ford's more boring cars may become appealing, but by then it'll be too little, too late as far as I'm concerned...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I dont see this as Ford bashing at all, I see it as the cold hard truth. The new Ford slogan "Bold Moves" is laughable at best. Im not the type of person to buy a car(or truck) simply because its got a Ford emblem on the front, and I think Ford is really relying on repeat customers here.

I would like to see Ford s the mod motor all together, there I said it. Ford's mod motor is total garbage, they took a try at it, and were unsuccessful at an attempt to make a reliable OHC performance V8 engine. It may be due to lack of R&D, it may be due to lack of beta testing, etc.

I personally would like a V8, but the only RWD platform we have to choose from is the Stang. Not that I dont like the stang, or have a bitterness against it as some do, I would prefer a car that is different than every other performance Ford on the road.

History has shown us that Aussie styling doesnt market well in the US. You cannot continue to sell a car that is not profitable. But Ford needs to live up to the "Bold Moves" they claim and release more RWD V8(or performance V6) platforms. The Grand National has shown that turbo V6s can kick ass. At this point, I think Ford should do something, because I wouldnt buy one single car they have out except a mustang, and Id buy a GTO before I bought one. The three valve design is a piss poor design and not something I would want to deal with again.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #6
Quote from: chrome302jr
History has shown us that Aussie styling doesnt market well in the US.

Purely ludicrous hypothetical situation: Someone holds a gun to your head, and tells you you only have two choices. One is to take a Five Hundred, the other is to take a twin-turbo I6 Falcon. You must drive either one for at least a year. Which do you choose?

Reply #7
Of course the Falcon, again I dont speak for the US market though so I dont see the relevance here.

Reply #8
Hell Id rock one...But not for $40k

Reply #9
The relevance here is that while Aussie cars may not have done well historically, right now Ford's US lineup isn't very appealing. Could it really be as bad as the Five Hundred?

An alternative as I posted over on FM is to tart it up a bit, and sell a 2-door version here as a re-resurrected T-bird. Or Cougar. Or Capri. Or Fairlane. Or Falcon. Whatever. ANYTHING. A little choice would be nice. Something else to lust after other than a Stang. Doesn't have to beat the Stang, just be fast and INTERESTING. I wouldn't even care if it was a 4-door. (hell, I'm  after a 4-door as we speak)

EDIT: Now that you've posted a picture, what about that car really screams Aussie, aside from the inline 6? It's not like a Volvo with its Swedish styling.. or German, or Italian, or puppiesanese. That car doesn't look out of place to me in the US or the UK. Sure, it's not exactly a supercar, but we're not talking about Astons or Ferraris here.

Reply #10
I had this same arguement tonight with a friend. Ford doesnt have any imagination what so ever. Dodge has a beautiful creation of a retro styled Challenger. But like the Rustang, Dodge decided to slap the good name of Charger onto a Four door sedan. Chevy has the most imagination out of all of the manufacturers, minus the new Camaro. It doesnt matter whether they are sporting a V8 or a 4 banger. It has to look good. Something new, not the same old .

That is one reason I will always work on the Cougar first. No one here knows what it is, and no one has one. Hell I drive a Yellow Escape. An SUV. Yes I see quite a few Yellow ones, but its different, its nice to see something radical and different sitting in the driveway or cruising through town.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #11
that falcon looks like a 2004 325 bmw in ways. and reminds me of the Gto. if they did bring it here im sure people would bash on that it looks to much like this and that. but bet it would walk on this and that to with the I6Tor I6TT 6speedand be gas freindly on the wallet
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #12
It may look like this or that, but honestly, what doesn't these days? Outside of the pony cars and the exotics, anyway. (or the really ugly shiznit like the PT Snoozer) They all morphed into the same basic car.

Reply #13
Can't you get the Aussie Falcon in AWD also? If so that thing has tones of potential over here.

One hell of a torque monster inline 6 with a turbo and AWD. Ford would show the mitsu and subaru guys that they are no longer king of the hill in the US.

And as for cars all looking the same. Here is proof. Look at the four cars at the top of the page.

Reply #14
Quote from: slamedcat
And as for cars all looking the same. Here is proof. Look at the four cars at the top of the page.

Thats funny but thats the way it is and has been for the last 10-15 years, I was car shopping 2-3 months ago and I gotta say hyundai had the most intrest in my price range (around/under20K) but even then the quality sucked, I always found something that didnt fit the way I liked or moved a way I didnt I eventually gave up and decided i'd be better off rebuilding my sprint instead, in the shape its in now it still gets better mileage than anything else I saw while I was out (except for the smart car but no)

So the curerent plan is to get another turbo engine to rebuild (done) get another trans and do the same (this weekend) and upgrade the braking and handling department while i'm at it (readily available stock parts) and instead of blowing +/- 20K on a car that will be worth nothing in a dozen years i've got a house thats only going to go down in value if it burns to the ground.

In the end i've got a unique, efficient, reliable, practical vehicle and more money in my pocket.

Oh and as far as ford goes for vehicles I didnt even bother stopping in there, the only thing they have that fit what I was looking for is the *yawn* focus.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC