Skip to main content
Topic: Rust blisters - what's under them (Read 1439 times) previous topic - next topic

Rust blisters - what's under them

Today I got a little bored so I decided to see what was under the rust blisters of the base T-Bird.

PS rear quarter

DS front fender

Since there is some damage on the fender, I may get a new one rather than mess with body work.

DS front quarter

Reply #1
Alas, I know only too well exactly what is under rust blisters. Unfortunately I have one progressively getting worse on my left front fender (a result of driving it last January when the Volvo died). Thankfully the parts TC has a rust free fender (and rust free doors). My car is gonna be looking pretty sorry soon, with TC hood, left fender, bumper cover and header panel all in primer :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
I am not sure about Newfoundland but in the western provinces you cant get front fenders new. I tried for my other bird with no luck at all for the drivers side and was told i bought one of the last passenger side ones and this was after a dozen phone calls. All i kept getting told was that they are a discontinued part!!? I guess the wreckers are an option but the ones i found were as bad as the one i had.

Reply #3
lmao, i need new fenders cause of those stupid rust bubbles :(

err

Reply #4
This is a little off topic but is it me or are newer cars (ones made in the last 10 years) better rust protected? I live in Chicago and they salt A LOT in the winter and I noticed that even 10 year old cars seem to have no rust at all. What are they doing to the steel now to protect it? I know Ford used galvanized steel on our cars but for a lot of cars in the rust belt this dosen't help.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
I had a couple of those rust bubbles on my driver's side fender. I found a hole the size of a pencil eraser so I stabbed at it with a screwdriver. I ended up revealing a hole in the fender that is about 7 inches long and an inch or so wide. Bondo to the rescue! :hick:

I could have the ultimate patriotic Cougar. The car is white, I have red fenders in the basp00get along with a set of blue doors.

For some reason I see more '87-'88 cars rusted than '83-'86. Anyone else see anything like that in their area?

Reply #6
I have two oem rust free fenders(inside and out) sitting in my garage just incase,never know when ya might need one!!

Reply #7
Quote from: dominator
I have two oem rust free fenders(inside and out) sitting in my garage just incase,never know when ya might need one!!

! When I started reading that I thought you were going to offer them up. :(

Reply #8
-what is this thing you call rust?!?
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #9
Sorry man,i thought about selling them at one point but there just to hard to find in mint condition,and the aftermarket new ones are made of poor metal from what i hear.

Reply #10
Quote from: dominator
Sorry man,i thought about selling them at one point but there just to hard to find in mint condition,and the aftermarket new ones are made of poor metal from what i hear.

You got that right - the new aftermarket ones I had installed on my '87 Sport were . They were paper thin and the holes to bolt the header panel and bumper cover up were all wrong. The hole for the antenna wasn't there (although as thin as the metal was I probably could have used a hole punch). The wheel opening arches weren't as sharp either. Still, I paid about $100 apiece for 'em new (got 'em at cost) and they were far nicer than the rustbuckets on that ol' rustbucket, so -ness aside I was happy with 'em. I wouldn't put 'em on my '88 though...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Yeah. I live in Calgary and I have not been able to find any rust free fenders. My drivers side front fender,both sides of the lower front parts of the wheel well and the r/s rear lower wheel well is all rusted and I can't find parts for it at all.I want to get it repaired and painted this year before the snow falls.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #12
I have a brand new PS fender if you are interested...

Reply #13
I was looking at the fender on my rusted out parts car and they seem to be rust free but the one I need -DS- has some damage where the door hooked the fender and bent it.

So my question is...would the body people out there rather repair rust or repair damage?

I'm going to take the fender off the parts car this week and have a really good look at it.

Reply #14
For those who may not have believed that my parts car was rusted...

I'll have more pictures of the rust as I take the car apart...

...But on to the reason why I'm taking it apart...
The fenders must have been replaced at some point. They are pretty clean with only minimal rust - surface rust only. I figured they were replaced since they are clean plus they had several bolts missing where they connect to the header and screws missing where they screw onto the inner fender.

Here's the damage on the DS fender.

And the reason why the fender was damaged...

The bracket where the fender bottom bolted to the car frame rusted completed off.

I'm going to Princess Auto tomorrow and buying a sand blaster and a paint gun.

EDIT: BTW here is a picture of the rust that was left on the floor when I took the car back out of the garage.