Skip to main content
Topic: What was that? (Read 1838 times) previous topic - next topic

What was that?

OK, you all know I've been looking for a 87/88 t-bird that has a good body. I'm driving home from the parts store last week when I see something out of the corner of my eye.

It's big and red. I do a double take...my God it's a 87/88 cougar being driven down the road. I start to ask myself questions; where is that car from? It can't be from around here. If it was it would have rusted out long ago. Is the owner living/staying anywhere near by?

I couple nights later a friend and I go out for a coffee at the local Tim Hortons. We park and are drinking the coffee in my truck when, right in front of me drives this red 87/88 cougar. I look it over pretty good as it goes by in front of us. I couldn't see any sign of rust. The guy parks about 4 parking spaces from me and gets out and goes into the market.

I put the truck in gear and move over to the parking spot next to the cougar and the only sign of rust I see is a spot about the size of a golf ball on the front ds fender. I drive around the car and see the plate - Alberta. It figures. I waited a while for the guy to come back but I had to leave.

I hope to see him around again. Maybe he'll sell the car for a plane ticket back to Alberta. :)

Re: What was that?

Reply #1
I must be blessed to live in Philadelphia, PA.  I see a Bird or cat for sale all the time.  Two Birds this week. Both blue Both 87/88. One of them is 500 bucks.

I saw two Cats within the past month - both two tone blue like my Bird.

There's an 86 on Route 13. The Birds mentioned above are under the El.  I didn't mention the black 87 TC from three weeks ago. 

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #2
Chris: There are Thunderbirds and Cougars for sale EVERYWHERE except Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or PEI. I get SOOOO jealous when I see mint TC's and XR7's being sold in NY, NJ, etc on eBay but can't find one here for love or money :brick:

Thundergrowl, as you know I feel your pain. It took forever for me to find my '88 T-Bird, and it took me forever to find the '87 I had before that. You're lucky, though, in that you have a T-Bird to drive in the mean time. I was driving junk for the three years it took me to find the '87 and more junk while searching for the '88. Hang in there, you'll find a car yet. Every once in a rare while one comes up for sale that could be the diamond in the rough - just recently there was an '88 V6 Cougar that looked decent in Dartmouth for $1200 (great body but I passed owing to the V6). I also know where there's an 87 20th anniversary, but the guy selling it is a nutcase (it'e been sitting on his lot now for over six years). He was asking $3700 five years ago, I offered him $2500 and he declined (it needed an exhaust manifold, brakes, and the shifter freed up). Four years ago I offered him $2000 and he declined again. Three years ago my offer was $1500, two years ago it was $1000, and now the car is in such bad shape that I would not even offer him $500. The body is really starting to go and you can well imagine what the brakes, floors, exhaust and engine seals would be like now, after sitting for over five years directly under the smokestack from Tuft's Cove (an oil-fired power plant). I can't imagine there being $500 worth of usable parts in that car anymore. It still has his $3700 price tag in the window and the faded "New MVI" poster, even though the MVI expired in Sept '99, so you can imagine how ling it's been there...

The last time I talked to him I told him he should be ashamed of himself for destroying that car (it was loaded, too, even for a 20th: moonroof, keyless, autolamps, heated memory seats, trac-lock, etc). He smugly replied "If you wanna save it, buy it." The ...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Chris: There are Thunderbirds and Cougars for sale EVERYWHERE except Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or PEI.

Aye! When I bought my Alberta TC, I felt like I was getting behind the wheel of a mint classic, because I honestly didn't remember seeing a solid one all the years I lived at home. You know, I saw a '68 Dart going the other day, as a guy's winter beater, and it was completely rust free, and this guy drives a '72ish Charger every day on my route. These are cars that only exist in car shows, barns, and rust piles back east.

Reply #4
i'd go for it