Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pressure Issues, Have PSI Guage Readings on Last Page... (Read 3184 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Pressure Issues, Have PSI Guage Readings on Last Page...

Reply #15
hey when i use to drive my 87 cougar and i would shut it off... when i would go and try and start it ... it would crank but very slow like the battery was dead ..... idk if thats what yours is doin but ever since i changed my starter and selonoid, it cranks over fast ..even after a long drive... i also change my fuel filter cuz it was shaking alot when it would shift from 1st to 2nd... idk if your car is doin any of that but yea ....

Reply #16
It doesn't crank slowly. I just have to crank the engine about 2-3 times for about 3 seconds a pop before the engine turns on. Believe me, with the electrical problems I had with the Turbo Coupe, I would know if this was battery/alternator related. The car does shake when shifting from 1st to 2nd from time to time and seems to be bogged down until I can get it into 3rd. I don't know why it does that.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #17
Alright... I'm not reading any of this thread>....... But has any of your troubleshooting involved a  fuel pressure guage?????

You ask all these questions but never seem to take our advice.
One 88

Reply #18
Check the friggen fuel pressure.....christ!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #19
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I really do appreciate the help, but the Fuel Pressure guage is 85 dollars and I just don't have it right now.

I changed the Fuel Filter and am still having the hard starting problem. If it were low pressure from the Fuel Pump, why would the car run well but only have the issue upon starting? Is there a check valve that keeps fuel from running backwards when the fuel pump is off?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #20
My FP gauge didn't cost $85....  It was $40 or so at Autozone....
You just need one for testing not to leave mounted in the car.

Reply #21
HERE  Under $40, the same one I have....works just fine.

Reply #22
85 bucks for a fuel pressure gauge!!??
ummm i bought one for around 30 bucks....worth it, IMO

yes, i'd check fuel pressure, or find someone that can...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #23

Your fuel system has two check valves. One in the FP regulator and one in the fuel tank. If either go bad...FP will bleed down after the prime and results in increased cranking time to build the FP back up.

[SIZE="1"]You can't afford a $10 multimeter, $40 set of A/C gauges, and now a $37 FP gauge. What tools do you have?[/SIZE]

Reply #24
Basic tools I got as gifts. Look, I get the picture. Some of you guys are better off than I am. I don't need it rubbed in my face all the  time. I'm just strapped for money right now. I'm trying to determine the problem, and I just don't need to be constantly reminded about how cheap I am.
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #25
Where is the Fuel Pressure Regulator? And more importantly, how difficult is it to replace?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #26
Quote from: DMC24guy
Basic tools I got as gifts. Look, I get the picture. Some of you guys are better off than I am. I don't need it rubbed in my face all the  time. I'm just strapped for money right now. I'm trying to determine the problem, and I just don't need to be constantly reminded about how cheap I am.

Well let's see, either throw parts and money at a problem hoping that will fix it, or spend a little on some tools to get some information that someone can use to help you instead of guessing.  Putting a gauge on the car will tell you if the fp is bleeding down or not as the car sits.

And that's all we're doing is "rubbing it in your face"...yeah, we have nothing else better to do.  Whatever.

The FP regulator is on the fuel rail held on with 3 allen bolts from the bottom.  Not hard to replace.  Again, it might be bad, it might not....

Reply #27
Quote from: DMC24guy

I can't even afford my own medical bills, and I've been unemployed since around early November, and even I can manage to se up the money for tools I need. You come on here and ask advice and then promptly disregard it, and then wonder why people get tired of responding. Either shiznit or get off the pot, man.

Reply #28
Sorry to say there isn't one easy cure-all answer when it comes to 'intermittent' problems such as these.  Jccassity developed a home-made fuel pressure gauge for very cheap.  Hopefully he can chime in here.

Reply #29
Look, I get the picture.

Obviously you don't.

I'm just strapped for money right now. I'm trying to determine the problem, and I just don't need to be constantly reminded about how cheap I am.

You aren't trying to determine the problem.  You are throwing out random guesses and hoping someone on here will chime in and say, "Yes that's exactly what it is and here is what you need to do in order to fix it and I have one sitting in my garage right now that I'm not using that I will bring to your house and install for you at no cost!"

That ain't gonna happen buddy.  If you want to save lots of time and money and headache then you need to get yourself a few basic diagnostic tools that you are going to need in order to efficiently maintain and repair your car.  Otherwise, you need to take it to a mechanic and let him maintain and repair it for you.  These cars are super easy to work on.  But you've got to have the right tools for the job.  Otherwise you and everyone on here are just throwing out guesses and you end up spending more time and money than you need to in order to fix the car.

Now, with that out of the way, here is something right up your alley.  Take the car to Autozone and see if they can pull any codes from it for you.  It's free and it may give you more of an idea where to start looking for the problem.  The car may give a code even if the check engine light is not on.  My car was having a similar problem to yours.  Starting difficult but running okay once started.  And almost impossible to start when hot.  I bought a code reader at Wal Mart for $20 and used the instruction book to get a code from my car's computer.  It gave me code 18, which according to the book meant that the profile ignition pickup sensor was faulty.  I replaced it myself using a Haynes manual as a guide and, even though I had never done the job before, it all went okay and was fairly straightforward.  I have not experienced that problem since then.

Look, the people on here really want to help.  But if you aren't going to do what it takes to help yourself, then no one is just going to come down and hand stuff to you.  You've got to get off your duff and help us out a little before we can do anything but guess.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0