Skip to main content
Topic: The '86 is home! (Read 2141 times) previous topic - next topic

The '86 is home!

Picked her up on saturday.

The good news:
She runs beautifully, shifts beautifully. NO RUST!!! (other than on the fender from the damage)

Rebuilt 5.0, forged internals, bored .030 over.
Rebuilt AOD
Polyurethane bushings

The guy gave me the original steering wheel and the original TRX rims.

The bad news:
Rear axle is bent. While the car is still drivable, I wouldn't say its very safe although it did manage to make the nearly 50 mile drive home without a hitch.
Looks like I'll be swapping the rear and with the time and money constraints I won't have her at Cat Jam. I might not even be able to go at all.

It's going to need a new rear bumper as this one is cracked and severely warped.
Also going to need a new driver’s side fender as the guy tried to do me a favor by hammering out the light crease his daughter put in it.

So far, I've swapped on a different set of wheels, given it a bath and repainted the door window trim.
Still have lots to do as the interior is filthy and under the hood needs a thorough scrubbing.

The '86 is home!

Reply #2
I kinda liked the other wheels. Still looks sweet though. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

The '86 is home!

Reply #3
throw on the trx rims for cat jam,...

Just throw in a plane jane 7.5 2.73 rear and drive it to cat jam. You are hardly able to spin the tires from a dead stop with a stock 302 and grippy tires.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

The '86 is home!

Reply #4
If you're thinking about using TRX rims, I'd suggest putting them on for the show and then taking them off before you plan on driving any distance.  As many have reported, those tires are dangerous in any adverse conditions, including rain.

Regarding the new purchase, yikes! Wow! Yipee!  That's an awesome car and it reminds me slightly of my first Cougar, an '84.  Nice find, indeed.

The '86 is home!

Reply #5
So the parents unhappy with you taking up those 4 parking spots?

Looks good Fred!  I'm convinced my next cougar will be a 4 eyed.  After I find a replacement for this tank.
One 88

The '86 is home!

Reply #6
Thanks guys!
Reguarding the TRX rims, I most likely won't be using them. I just thought it was cool that this car originally came with them. The tires are all flat and can't hold air. I was going to put them on for now but that plan failed.

These that I put on the car are just so I can move it around in the driveway. I have a lot of work to do before this car gets on the road permanently. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a set of tires for the turbines I have once some more money comes in. Turbines, boring I know, but I like 'em.

About the black ones wheels that were on there. I'll be selling those. Two are bent, two are mint. They'll be seeing ebay in a couple weeks unless someone here wants them.

Quote from: CougarSE
So the parents unhappy with you taking up those 4 parking spots?

Well, somewhat yes, somewhat no. The Camaro peeking from behind the '88 is on ebay right now so it will hopefully be gone in a week or two. The Fairlane peeking from behind the '86 will remain as will my tib and the '88. So in theory, in about a week or two, I'll be taking up the same amount of spots as I was before I brought the '86 home. BUT instead of two non-running cars, there will be only one. So yes, I'm taking up 4 spots, but 3/4 will be on the road. The Fairlane will too hopefully no later than spring.

The '86 is home!

Reply #8
Wow, man. That car reminds me of my first '86, which I miss every day:

I love the way the '85-'86 Cougars look in black. That car has loads of potential.
Very nice find.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The '86 is home!

Reply #9
Why not just slide an axle in the rear? Its easy work.
It's Gumby's fault.

The '86 is home!

Reply #10
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Why not just slide an axle in the rear? Its easy work.

Agreed - if it's only the axle shaft thats bent you could be on the road in less than an hour...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

The '86 is home!

Reply #11
Okay, so maybe changing the axle is worth a shot.
It's something that somewhat intimidates me and I've heard some horror stories.

So what is involved?
From what I found I would need to...
Drain rear fluid and remove the cover, remove c clip and slide the axle out.
Is that it?

I'd appreciate any input since this is something new to me.

The '86 is home!

Reply #12
Drain rear...

take out the little bolt holding the center pin in...

pull out the s clip

remove drum

push axle shaft in to housing

remove c clip

remove axle

reverse
One 88

The '86 is home!

Reply #13
Cool.

Yeah, replacing an axle is pretty easy.  Just be careful with the small bolt holding the pin in the diff.  Hitting it with a little heat before helps.  You don't want to snap that head off that bolt....

The bent axle might have damaged the axle seal, but those are also easy to swap out.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '86 is home!

Reply #14
DO NOT remove the S-clip, it can stay

Remove the pan cover, and leave the car in nuetral. With the ass end in the air, and the wheel and drum off of the trouble side. Spin the driff untill you see a 5/16's bolt, once its where you can remove it, pop it in park, and remove the bolt. Pop the car back in nuetral, and rotate the rear to where the diff pin can slide out. Onces its out, press the axle inwards. What helps is giving the axle a wack or two with a hammer. Reach in there with a screwdriver and push the c-clip out, then slide the axle out.

Its easy work.
It's Gumby's fault.