Skip to main content
Topic: What's the hardest car part you've installed solo? (Read 2616 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the hardest car part you've installed solo?

I'm sure I'll see alot of engines and tranny installs but I'm still curious none the less. My hardest just happened last night. I installed a rear end all by myself. It wasn't that bad at first until I had to align and jack the  thing up at the same time! And the higher it got the more unstable it became. It nearly rolled right over me. =/ But I got it in and that's all I cared about.

Other than that the other worst was removing and installing a nearly 3/4 full gas tank in an apartment parking lot. That... sucked... ass.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #1
All my work has been solo...from pulling/installing engines, trannys, rearends.....I never have a helper....so I guess I'm just used to it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
Engine and transmission, or just the transmission...didn't care for doing either one of those myself but I didn't have much choice.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #3
Ditto on the rear end. I caught hell trying to get everything lined up and keeping the diff balanced on the jack at the same time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #4
Wiring CFI ALONE!!! It sucks.

Reply #5
I think it's tied between the rear end and the gas tank.  Bleh.

It may be a 3 way tie with dealing with the front suspension as well.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Reply #7
fuel injection on my 77 f250 and engines and trannys

Reply #8
Considering I haven't done much to my car by myself since I've always had help on everything, the hardest thing was the intake manifold swap (which I did all by myself). Now that sounds stupid I'm sure BUT it wound up being a royal pain that caused me to spend a lot more money than I antited.

-Original bolts broke, had to buy new and drill out the broken ones.
-Couldn't easily remove hoses so I had to cut, wohoo fresh hoses.
-Fuel injectors crumbled, had to get another set
-I get the whole thing back together to find I broke the heater core while either removing or installing the hoses.

Hmm, I was thinking about swapping a rear. With all these "rear being the hardest" posts, I'm having second thoughts.:giggle:

Reply #9
lol, I forgot about one. Prolly because I did not accomplish it. I tried and failed to install a C4 alone. The car wasn't high enough and I couldn't roll it under the car on the jack. After sliding the C4 under the car (after taking off the bellhousing) I couldn't get it back on the jack. Defeated.

I generally work alone now because I don't really know that many people that work on their car up here.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #10
Quote from: Ether947

Headlights.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #11
Both motor mounts on my '88 XR7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Oil pan, 5.0... 'nuff said.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #13
Ill let you know in a few months...because everything will be getting swapped out.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #14
5 Hours with my head under the drivers side dash wiring a keyless entry and remote start system on my 88 Bird.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!