Skip to main content
Topic: So I had a hell of a week (Read 1144 times) previous topic - next topic

So I had a hell of a week

Well I had an interesting week. Last Friday I was outside in the 90* heat for 6 hours and drank about 12-14 quarts of water. Well apparently that isn't good for you. I came home and I passed out from 7 p.m. last Friday till 7a.m. this Tuesday. I woke up in a hospital. My brain had swelled up because I had too much water in my body and displaced the salts screwing up my body chemistry. I'm pretty much ok now but I have a slight concussion from passing out and hitting my head and I have slight dizzy spells. I can't drive till Monday but I'm doing much better now. Just let this be a warning to you guys that if you're outside on a 90* day drink some gatorade or eat something and don't stay in the sun for 6 hours straight. I'm a very healthy 20 year old and this happened to me so it can happen to anyone. I learned my lession. I didn't kow it but you can drink too much water.:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
Holy Cr@p , first I read the thread about a whacked finger, and now this. 

I never heard of too much water.  I thought they tell you to be sure to drink the H2O when outside.  I didn't know you could get intoxicated from it.

Being out from Fri to Tuesday is dam serious, glad you are recovering okay!

I guess since beer gets rid of water maybe its good to mix some beer's in with the water ?

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #2
How do you pass out for four days? I didn't even think that was possible unless you were in a coma.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #3
I wasn't quite passed out on my own. They did put me out because of the brain swelling and the fact that they had to run tests on me to figure out what was wrong. I didn't know that it was possible to drink too much water but apparently it is. I had so much water that I diluted the other chemicals in my body and caused my brain to swell. I was told by the doctor that if I had just eaten something over the course of those 6 hours to add some sort of salt or protein to my body I would have been ok. It's weird but you don't realize when you're 20 that you can do something like that to your body.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Good to hear you'll be ok! I've read about this happening to novice marathon runners who drink large quantities of water before the race begins. I think a runner doing the Boston marathon died a few years ago because of this. It's definitely better to do the Gatorade to maintain osmotic gradients.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
A recruit died in Marine basic training from too much water in 04. They are very serious about regulating proper water intake.

Reply #6
Monday I was outside in 100* weather for more than 8 hours. I drank like 8 20oz bottles of water and ate some. Concerts are fun only if you are cool! Im sunburnt.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #7
hmm. I am nearing 22 out of a 24 moutain dews since 8ish. I better go make me some food.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
When you are out in the hot weather for extended periods of time like that it is best to drink some gatorade/powerade to get the nutrients, and eat some preztels to get the salt back into your body that you are sweating out.

Reply #9
 dude. Glad to hear you're doing okay. Thats insane. I haven't had any problems like that or that bad. The worst I've had is I guess you would call it minor heat stroke. Dizziness and throwing up whatever water I drank. Never passed out in the heat tho.

Reply #10
Heat sucks. 

Osmotic gradients rule.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack
hmm. I am nearing 22 out of a 24 moutain dews since 8ish. I better go make me some food.

I work with a guy that used to drink a case of 20oz bottles of MD a day.  He also has no teeth and did 5 years for meth charges.

Reply #12
i would say the meth charges would have something to do with no teeth. your in Iowa, are meth houses as bad up there as the are down here? Missouri leds the nation it meth and jefferson county MO leds th state. maybe why my cuzn was cooking it in the basp00get of my aunts house.
1986 Cougar LS