Skip to main content
Topic: sad sad day.... (Read 697 times) previous topic - next topic

sad sad day....

today the cougar lost its fight to rust and the trans spit out 2nd 3rd and 4th gear today. so im deciding what to do with the big red beast. sell it for parts... smash it in a derby... or build one sick dirt race car out of it. but whatever i plan on doing with it i will let you all know. but for right now i will be driving a 1990 toyota pick up 4 cyl 4 speed manual with 180k+ on the clock. so its gonna be a fun little truck to play with till i once again am in a fox body car. bit i still will patrol the boards like normal. my love for these cars will never die lol. but thanx to everyone who has helped keep me motivated with the beast.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

sad sad day....

Reply #1
sorry to hear the Aod ed out on you. ive had it happen 2 times not a fun job or time in m life. #3 has been acting up since it whent in and all it's life but behiund the v6 never knew how bad.

im sure their is another fox out their for you. good luck with whatever. rust almost allways wins if it gets a chance.  look to the south for a clean car. my mustang is from down south . verry rust free. love it .
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

sad sad day....

Reply #2
Man that sucks. Good luck. Treat the toyota good...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

sad sad day....

Reply #3
I had to drive an '82 Toyota 4X4 for almost a year when I was in between Foxes once, so I know how you feel.:p

One thing about the Coug - are you sure it's not just a stuck TV cable or linkage? If that cable sticks the car won't shift out of first gear (well, it will, but it'll do so at redline). I had that happen to my old '88 Cougar
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

sad sad day....

Reply #4
So how bad is the rust?

Sorry to hear it. If you are going to have fun with it, I vote dirt car.

sad sad day....

Reply #5
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
I had to drive an '82 Toyota 4X4 for almost a year when I was in between Foxes once, so I know how you feel.:p

One thing about the Coug - are you sure it's not just a stuck TV cable or linkage? If that cable sticks the car won't shift out of first gear (well, it will, but it'll do so at redline). I had that happen to my old '88 Cougar

Same thing happend to me down in florida, bout a week before the 5 speed swap... I was driving down 41 (6 lanes wide) with my foot to the floor to keep up.
One 88

sad sad day....

Reply #6
yeah carm ill check out that linkage to see if its moving freeley but when i took it p to redline it felt like she wanted to shift but it was a no go. but i might do the dirt car thing:evilgrin:  but i have to convince the gf that its ok to go racing.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

sad sad day....

Reply #7
had an 86 or 87 nissan 4x4 5 speed 2.5L, was a bomb proof little truck, had lots of fun with it.