Skip to main content
Topic: Most annoying ring tone ever. (Read 2420 times) previous topic - next topic

Most annoying ring tone ever.

Its supposed to be so high pitch that most adults can't hear it. I can hear it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nyc_youth_ring_tone

Reply #1
Quote from: slamedcat
Its supposed to be so high pitch that most adults can't hear it. I can hear it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nyc_youth_ring_tone

I'm 44 years old and I find it annoyingly loud - even with the volume almost all the way down...
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #2
I will bet you that every nun on the planet can hear that.

(Those of you who went to Catholic school will know what I'm talking 'bout...) ;)

Reply #3
I want a tone louder like barry white at low and mariah carey at high....

mmm, i dont have a cell phone, still pretty expensive to me...

Of course, i hear the tone....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #4
Umm... okay, so far everyone can hear it.  I think maybe at lower volumes it would be more difficult to hear, but no more difficult to me than the average 10 year old.  I don't get it...

So I took this hearing test to see what I can and can't hear:

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/content/hat.aspx?cid=922
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #5
That one I can hear. They played it on the radio yesterday and I didn't hear a thing. Must of been a higher pitch.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #6
:flip:
Quote from: amooset
Umm... okay, so far everyone can hear it.  I think maybe at lower volumes it would be more difficult to hear, but no more difficult to me than the average 10 year old.  I don't get it...

So I took this hearing test to see what I can and can't hear:

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/content/hat.aspx?cid=922

Dude, you totally suck!:nono: :flip:

Actually, I had a hearing test done last year, I am not able to hear high frequencies.  Partly due to the Fibromyalgia, that has caused constant ringing in my ears, and partly due to all those years of shooting without using ear protectors.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Reply #7
i hear very well, but can't see anything.

and the whole "ring tone" craze is the most annoying part, if I have to hear another add about texting this or that to some spam company for some cheap ass lame "ring tone" i'm going to start fire bombing things. I just want my phone to ring, let me know I have a call, is that so hard.. just a normal sounding phone ring.. please..

Reply #8
I have different rings tones for different people. I have everything from Posion to CKY for ring tones and havn't paid a dime for them. I make my own. What kills me are the people that have voice ringers. The ones that say "Hey pick up the phone". Thats the most annoying ones I have seen until this one.

Reply #9
Quote from: darkthunder
That one I can hear. They played it on the radio yesterday and I didn't hear a thing. Must of been a higher pitch.

The problem with playing it on the radio is the bandwidth of the radio transmitter won't pass the high frequencies. AM only goes up to about 8khz while FM can go to 16khz. I believe they said that the ringer tone is at 17khz so the radio transmitter won't transmit it.

...Oh, I can hear it too.

Reply #10
I heard those tones on the radio. I think I heard all of them up to 20k hertz or something like that.

I work in a computer room with air conditioners running full tilt all day. 12 hours I sit in this freezing cold loud room. My car sounds so different when I leave in the evening compared to when I came in. My hearing is starting to deteriorate. Wonder if I can demand compensation...

Reply #12
Quote from: 5.0willgo
I heard those tones on the radio. I think I heard all of them up to 20k hertz or something like that.

I work in a computer room with air conditioners running full tilt all day. 12 hours I sit in this freezing cold loud room. My car sounds so different when I leave in the evening compared to when I came in. My hearing is starting to deteriorate. Wonder if I can demand compensation...

OSHA has regulations on how loud a work enviroment can be... If they are over the limit and you can prove hearing loss, you can take legal action and win...

I didn't hear anything... Then I'm to the point I can barely hear the TV horiz osc sub harmonic of 7.5khz... And thats with my good ear, my right one dosen't hear anything over about 3khz...

Quote from: slamedcat
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/%7Ejw/hearing.html

Heres another hearing test.

Nothing after 8khz on that one.... I can barely hear the 4khz in my right ear...

BTW I use a 100w per channel AIWA stereo system for my computer audio, the wife heard it all the way to 16khz

Yea I know you're supposed to take the test with headphones..

Reply #13
I saw an article on this the other day and I can hear the tone.  It makes my jaw hurt for some reason.  Another thing I read about is that more people will hear it if they are expecting to than if it is just played without warning, ie as with a ringtone.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #14
Hey! Maybe I should use it for when my mom calls!  :rollin:
:cougarsmily:~Karen~