Skip to main content
Topic: Who's bidding on this very nice e-bay cat? (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

Who's bidding on this very nice e-bay cat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4648069746&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Looks like the reserve is met, but I wonder if it's not the dealer it'self bidding also. Never know about that. It is definitely a sweet car. I am still a bit tempted to bid on it, especialy since my 04' mach1 is for sale on AutoTrader.

Reply #1
Unfortunately, I am very familiar with that particular seller. I would never buy a car from him no matter how good of a deal it is. I have no doubt he is using another ebay account to bid up his own auctions (thus the need for a 'private auction').

If you look carefully at the pictures, especially at the trunk, you can see many areas of paint that are far from the "good" condition he claims. He has a VERY good detail man, and knows how to take pictures to his advantage. He also recently changed his ebay name because his other account was getting torn apart so badly by unhappy customers.

Buyer beware! But if anyone here does bid on it, be prepared to pay his maximum "transaction fee."
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Yah I can relate to that. My car listing said "PAINT IN GOOD CONDITION"

I got there and the car had been sitting in a junkyard for 3 years. The paint was falling off and oxidized. Be careful with pics.

Reply #3
Thanks for the FYI. He sure does make it look good on the site. I know how pics can make a car look good, especialy with a digital camera. Unless you get a real close up, you can't see the rust issues.

Reply #4
Quote from: 4thQtr
Unfortunately, I am very familiar with that particular seller

Funny you said that.  I remember the pics you took of the other car you sold.  IIRC they were in front of the same building were they not?

That cars been hit at least twice.  The right front quarter has poor paint.  Looks like a spray can job.  That tells me that panel has bondo or came from a donor car when you couple that fact with the missing turn marker trim.  I've highlighted the area.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
Funny you said that.  I remember the pics you took of the other car you sold.  IIRC they were in front of the same building were they not?

Yep, good eye Paul. I bought my previous bird through a mechanic who used this seller (they were friends) as the point of sale, so some of the pictures I had were from that transaction. While I was waiting for the previous owner to get his paperwork, I hung out in the seller's "climate controlled showroom" which was actually just a dark, windowless warehouse where he had some minimum-wage guy who detailed his cars all day. Some of what passed as "excellent" and "great" condition on his cars were shocking to me, as well his one-man "customer support." Just a sketchy guy all around who acted like your stereotypical used car salesman exaggerating everything. I didn't get away so clean either, as the Bird needed new brakes all around, struts, e-brake cables, etc..... but at least I had gotten the carfax beforehand so there were no history issues.

I know these XR-7s are getting hard to find, so if anyone is still interested shoot me a PM. The seller is just up the road from me, and I wouldn't mind going toe to toe with him and getting a fair evaluation of the car for anyone on this board.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #6
I know these XR-7s are getting hard to find

Your right, I think I did good with mine. $1500, Louisiana, garaged kept, southern car, and always kept up. She will be with me at CatJam again this year. She kept the car detailed too. She said she would remove the old wax before applying the new. Megiur's wax of course. I'm just trying to keep it up now, and keep it stock. When I saw it, I thought, if I sold my mach1, I could make one of them the daily driver. But he sounds kinda shifty. Thanks for the FYI's guys. Just over a month to CatJam.....WooHoo!

Reply #7
Quote from: 4thqtr

I know these XR-7s are getting hard to find . . .

Tell me about it! alittle while ago I posted my non-running 88 XR7 with all the restoration parts that I have for sale. I look through auto-trader, Ebay and cars.com almost every day just to see what the chances are of finding another one that's unscathed. It's damm near impossible these days! So I guess I'll be holding onto it until I can get 'er running again.
Duckin' agents like we was trapped in da matrix!