Skip to main content
Topic: And so it begins... (Read 7541 times) previous topic - next topic

And so it begins...

Reply #45
Quote from: cougarcragar;112487

I'm thinking I would burn up my Dremel if I tried it with that...

nah.. thats what i used on my E6's, it'll work fine

And so it begins...

Reply #46
Since the head is all assembled with the valvetrain, just leave well enough alone.  The ports on the intake are smaller than the ports on the head, so it's not going to cause you any problems.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

And so it begins...

Reply #47
I got the lower intake bolted to the head, the head bolted to the block, and the fuel rail bolted to the manifold.
I installed a brand new radiator, but I'm waiting on the exhaust manifold gasket and coolant hoses to arrive at my local NAPA. Once I get those on Saturday, I can put 'er all back together and have some fun.

By the way, Chuck. The vinegar in the block worked very well. When I unplugged the lower radiator hose (I used a shift acspoogeulator piston to plug it), a bunch of brown fluid shot out of it. It definately did its job. Now I will have a coolant system that is almost totally clean and new, including the heater core.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #48
Glad to hear.

I still need to figure out what I'm doing with mine....

And so it begins...

Reply #49
You dont need an exhaust manifold gasket. These cars didnt use them from the factory. I use a thin thin thin bead of copper gasket sealant. A gasket wont hurt, but if you dont have one, dont worry about it.
It's Gumby's fault.

And so it begins...

Reply #50
Nice. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

And so it begins...

Reply #51
There's good news and bad news.

I got everything back together and figured out the timing tonight.
I was able to rotate the distributor, rotor, and redo the spark plug wires.
I searched for the spout plug on the TFI harness, but I couldn't find anything that looked like the spout in the picture at NATO.
Instead, I found a plug with one wire going in and one going out. I believe the wire was dark with a green stripe. It came directly out of the TFI plug harness. All of the other wires went into a loom.
Because I couldn't find the spout that looked like the one in the picture, I just disconnected this other thing and set the timing.
The timing went well and the engine was running fantastic, so I hooked it back up and it seemed fine.

The bad news:
There is a very loud tapping noise coming from under the valve cover. It sounds like a stuck valve or something. This is a freshly rebuilt head! As far as the frequency of the tapping, I would say there are four to five taps a second... if that makes sense.
I pulled the valve cover and looked around, but everything looked perfect. I didn't even see any small metal shavings or anything. What the hell could it be?
I'm very frustrated about this, as I paid $200 for that head to be rebuilt, and about another $200-$300 in other engine parts.
I'm tired of f**king around with this engine. Most of my patience is gone.

In summary:
-I really hope that was the spout plug I found, because it was the only thing down there that could have been it.
-I'm calling the machine shop tomorrow to ask them what that noise could be. I'm at a total loss here...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #52
Take the valve cover off

Turn the engine over manually, with a breaker bar or something similar

Keep an eye on the cam, followers, and valves.  Watch each one carefully for at least two full revolutions of the crankshaft (one for the cam) and make sure that everything is contacting inside there properly.  Make sure one or more of your followers aren't falling over the edge of valve tip.  Kinda sounds like that's what you're hearing.  Could also be the hydraulic portion of the "lifter" not yet pumped up.  What does your oil pressure look like?  What weight are you running?
1984 Thunderbird V8

And so it begins...

Reply #53
Yes that was the SPOUT plug.  The earlier cars did not have the little jumper pill.

Most 2.3s will tap for a short bit up top until the HLAs get fully pumped on a new start.  How long did you let it run?

And so it begins...

Reply #54
Motorcraft 10W-30 Full Synthetic.
I only let it run for about 10-15 minutes total. I got too worried when it didn't go away so I shut it off and left it for the night.

I think you guys are right. I called the machine shop this morning and he told me the same thing. I'm just supposed to let it idle and wait for the HLAs to return to normal.
This is something I simply didn't know... I was pretty worried, too.

I'm glad that was the spout plug. Now I can be sure that the timing is just right, and the tapping isn't anything bad.
I'm going to flush out the entire cooling system tonight (again) and change the oil. Then I should be go for launch.

Thanks for the help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #55
UPDATE:

I was able to completely flush the cooling system. Backflushing the heater core (which is almost brand new) gave me brown fluid out of one end. I am very glad I took the time to do that. I suggest this procedure to anybody.
While I added fresh coolant and distilled water, I let the engine run and waited for the thermostat to open.
Guess what? That tapping noise went away completely and the engine is running the best it ever has.
Again, thanks to everybody for their help.

One thing...
It didn't seem like the thermostat actually opened. I filled up the radiator and ran the engine, but the level never went down in the radiator. However, all of the other hoses in the engine had coolant. A gentle squeeze on one of the heater core hoses would "pulse" the level in the radiator. Also, I had hot heat from the vents.
Maybe the thermostat was already open somehow? Maybe some coolant is just getting past it. It seemed a little loose in its new housing, which is of poor quality.
One more thing...
The temperature gauge never went past the blue line. It worked before the HG change, so I'm wondering if I damaged the sensor when I was cleaning the lower manifold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #56
Quote from: 4thqtr;87988
Car looks great so far! Can't wait to see it at Cat Jam.

do you guys ever have a cougar greet and meet or a cat jam in the hurricane state of fl!

And so it begins...

Reply #57
Not as of yet, but we do have a few members down there!
In fact, Florida is where my '86 came from - the city of Inverness, to be exact.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #58
Quote from: big ron;113957
do you guys ever have a cougar greet and meet or a cat jam in the hurricane state of fl!

sorry for the thread hijack..

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=5889

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

And so it begins...

Reply #59
Here is a quick update.

I installed the '83 turn signals on the car. I also painted the junkyard Marchal fog covers and put 'em on. Now I just need to paint the rest of the car.
I also installed a boost gauge where the clock used to be. This is a temporary location, as I plan to get a nice pillar-mount gauge pod for the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]