Skip to main content
Topic: MY MSD /Duraspark comparison. (Read 629 times) previous topic - next topic

MY MSD /Duraspark comparison.

Well it has been a couple days since i removed the toasted msd 6al from my mustang. So i figured id let you guys know how things stack up between the two.

start up

msd - easy starts <    30* locked out

duraspark - drags slightly < timing 30* locked out

idle-6,000

msd - no miss,clean crisp power

duraspark -no miss  clean crisp power

6,000-6,500

msd- no miss still crisp

duraspark - power falls off , seems way rich.

pulled the plugs today, the plugs were a dark tan with the msd after a hard pull from idle-6,500 With the duraspark they are a hair darker
i may play with the plug gap some and see what happens peak power is at 6,500 so i cant loose the 500 rpm. Both ignitions are running a stock TFI coil.

Anyone think a differant coil may help? i noticed with the 6al differances between coils were slim to none.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #1
:d
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
I don't know man, my car was breaking up past 4,000rpm and I couldn't figure it out...I replaced the TFI coil with a new replacement coil and it was marginally better, still had the problem...on went a Blaster TFI coil and a SuperConductor wireset and it's just as nice as can be(I had a $50 set of Bosch wires I put on two weeks before the MSD wires). 

I would try a good coil/wire combo to see if that helps...Hell, I still need to get my 6al box in.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads