Skip to main content
Topic: Still cant drive it. (Read 2808 times) previous topic - next topic

Still cant drive it.

Went to the track today, first time since last year, and since i have some other mods done, i was looking forward to getting the thing into the low 14's. Even though i drive the thing every day, i still cant launch it to save my life.

I got 4 runs, first was worst, last was best.

First run

60ft-2.56
1/8-10.32
mph-72.44
1/4-15.71
mph-91.19

Flubbed the launch, rest of the run was very clean, shifted great, car felt great.

Last run.

60ft-2.31
1/8-9.96
mph-72.95
1/4-15.35
mph-91.11

That run, i came off of the clutch hard at probably 4,500, it felt great, then i got a hint of fuel slosh, so i got a really quick pop before the fuel got back to the pump.

If im correct, the MPH should be good for maybe a 14.70, but the 60ft's need to come down considerably.
It's Gumby's fault.

Still cant drive it.

Reply #1
My last and best run of 2 the other night was this:

R/T:_______.534
60'________2.008
330'_______5.916
1/8________9.137
MPH_______74.64
1000'______11.898
1/4_____14.227
MPH_______96.66

I would agree with your guess on the time the car is capable of with someone who knows how to drive. LOL.  You were serious about leaving the line at 4500?!?!  No wonder you have problems.  was it spinning bad?

Still cant drive it.

Reply #2
Shawn, yea with the 91mph should net a 14.7 or so... Yet it does seem the turbo cars turn in some odd mph/et combos even with a good 60ft.. Hardest part is launching with the 5 speed, they either spin or bog off the line. One trip to the d/s was enough for me with my first 5 speed TC..

Still cant drive it.

Reply #3
Quote from: 1WLD BRD
You were serious about leaving the line at 4500?!?!  No wonder you have problems.  was it spinning bad?

I tried to coax it off the line the first 3 runs, sliding the clutch, and those were my worse runs. I Got off the clutch aggressivly at 4500, and that was the best run. Spinning bad? I couldnt tell you, i never have traction in first gear, street, strip, duct tape...what ever im driving on. I dont knwo what it feels like to hook.

Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Hardest part is launching with the 5 speed, they either spin or bog off the line.

Youre definatly not lying. The best way to launch these cars is on slicks, and a 2-step, but thats no my style. Ill figure out how to launch this thing some time.
It's Gumby's fault.

Still cant drive it.

Reply #4
What kind of tires do you have?  And how's the rear suspension?  You can step up the stickyness of the tires with out going to drags, and I'm sure a stiff suspension out back would help more.... but you're a smart guy, you probably already know these things.....

Still cant drive it.

Reply #5
Quote from: DakotaEpic
What kind of tires do you have?  And how's the rear suspension?  You can step up the stickyness of the tires with out going to drags, and I'm sure a stiff suspension out back would help more.... but you're a smart guy, you probably already know these things.....

I'm sure you mean a soft suspension out back...you want that weight transfer.  Does your electronic ride control still work???  If so, try disconnecting it, let the struts/shocks stay a little loose when you launch.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Still cant drive it.

Reply #6
I did the PRC trick, and it did asbolutely nothing. I have Parelli's all around on it, and theyre supposivly sticky.

From a roll, 2nd gear just spins its ass off, its just a case of more power than i have tire i guess.
It's Gumby's fault.

Still cant drive it.

Reply #7
Sounds like it might be time for some Strange adjustable struts and shocks and maybe some Nitto's or M/T's.  The PRC trick might have helped if you were running 10lbs less boost...lol.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Still cant drive it.

Reply #8
Meh, waste of money for me. I turn more than i like to go straight.

10lbs or less? Ive more than doubled that :D
It's Gumby's fault.

Still cant drive it.

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci
From a roll, 2nd gear just spins its ass off, its just a case of more power than i have tire i guess.

Now I can realize how true the following phrase rings:

All the guys who can't spin tire want to desparately, but the guys who can are trying to find ways to prevent it.

Spins through second?  Sheesh man, my old TC would barely break loose in 1st with an inoperative T-Lok unit.

Still cant drive it.

Reply #10
Before I put in the new control arms the car would spin so hard it would shutter.  near knocked my teeth outta my head.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Still cant drive it.

Reply #11
I can get better short times in my CSVT :-p
Ryan[/i][/COLOR]
1986 2R[/b] SVO
1984 T-Bird 5.0 (In Hibernation since 10/96)