Skip to main content
Topic: HO upper intake question (Read 2107 times) previous topic - next topic

HO upper intake question

Reply #15
The '86 HO used the std intake with the smaller T/B opening. Those engines were rated at 200hp(not 225) and also used a 58mm Tbody/and egr spacer... Also this engine was used in the '86 and '87 LSC Lincolns. I just gave one of those and a SO intake to the s guy...

HO upper intake question

Reply #16
Are the factory HO ratings toned down a little?  I've seen some people list them at 265hp, but other places say 225.

Thanks for the MarkVII info, I'll definately look into that.  There's a local junkyard that is asking for $100 for a set of E7 heads, as long as we take them off the car ourselves.  Maybe that same engine will have an HO intake.

HO upper intake question

Reply #17
my u-pull it yard wanted $65 for a pair of heads, and they charged for them seperate and I felt I got taken to the cleaners.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

HO upper intake question

Reply #18
The '86 HO used the std intake with the smaller T/B opening. Those engines were rated at 200hp(not 225) and also used a 58mm Tbody/and egr spacer...
meh...maybe that was it. i could have missed the HO casting as well, i never looked for it. didnt interest me all that much and it was free. the TB is unmistakenly bigger than the tbirds original. never looked at the bore if the intake itself. it deffinetly made an improvement over the stock stuff so without a doubt the HO intake tb etc will make a big sifferance. i tossed the original tbird stuff so i cant compare again. i also only put 300 miles or so on the car since ive had it so it could just be in my head i suppose.my buddy had an 89 lsc parts car. mayby ill puppies the intake off that if someone wants my engine. anyway, i think the TB is the biggest bottleneck aside from the heads themselves.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

HO upper intake question

Reply #19
Quote from: kingcars
Are the factory HO ratings toned down a little?  I've seen some people list them at 265hp, but other places say 225.

Thanks for the MarkVII info, I'll definately look into that.  There's a local junkyard that is asking for $100 for a set of E7 heads, as long as we take them off the car ourselves.  Maybe that same engine will have an HO intake.
Wow... 100 bucks for a set of heads?  For that they better take them off.  They're taking you to the cleaners on that price.

Find a local mustang board with 5.0's on them, they give them away nearly.  Seriously...  DO NOT spend 100 bucks on E7's.  You'll regret it later.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

HO upper intake question

Reply #20
The Mustang 86 engines had the regular SO intakes. Your best bet is to save your money for a used Explorer intake. I don't know why you guys bother with the HO intake. I can't see it making any difference or noticeable difference at all. Cobra intake, E7 or GT40 heads and even the stock HO cam will give you good results.

James

HO upper intake question

Reply #21

NO 5.0 HO was EVER rated at 265hp....

The ratings were:

'82... 153hp... (had a 2bbl carb)

'83-'84... 175hp had 4bbl carb, still used cast exaust manifolds..

'85... 210hp... 4bbl carb... First year for headers but still had wimpy exaust system. E5 heads are basically same as later E7s.. Also there was a CFI(automatic only)version in '85. HP was somewhere between 160 & 180, can't remember fo sure on this one...

'86... 200hp ... First year with SEFI, had smaller throttle body(58mm), upper(non HO) than later years, These engines have the E6 heads..

'87-'88... 225hp... Speed densety EEC, 60mm T/B, HO intake, E7 heads, these are the strongest stock runners...

'89-'92... Still rated 225hp, but the small(55mm) mass air meter actually cut power...

'93... 205hp... Same engine as '89-'92. Ford just finally admitted they were no longer making 225hp.

'94-'95...215hp More or less the same engine as before, but does has lower profile intake and uses electric fan which frees up some power.

NOTE... the '87 LSC still used the '86 200hp engine...

Quote from: srv1
Your best bet is to save your money for a used Explorer intake. I don't know why you guys bother with the HO intake. I can't see it making any difference or noticeable difference at all. Cobra intake, E7 or GT40 heads and even the stock HO cam will give you good results.

James

My thoughts exactly.... But I have a cut, ported, and rewelded HO upper and lower if anyone is interested(what they did in the old days before the GT40, Cobra, etc were avai)... Should be roughly equal to a Explorer intake...

HO upper intake question

Reply #22
I don't know why you guys bother with the HO intake.
cause they are cheep or free just about easy to change, and make a great inprovement over whats stock used with the bigger TB. i would have built up an injected 331 and spent my money on all the 5.0 goodies if i wasnt going in the direction i am. it would have been a waste to spend any money on the 5.0. i hate to get rid of it though. it runs great.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

HO upper intake question

Reply #23
We don't have $200-300 to spend on a Cobra/Explorer intake.  Heck, thats about what we've spent total on the upper intake, headers, camshaft, computer, fuel injectors, AND the throttle body.  Maybe if I can find a really good deal I'll get one, but otherwise, I'll stick with a regular HO intake.  225hp is plenty for me.

HO upper intake question

Reply #24
We don't have $200-300 to spend on a Cobra/Explorer intake.  Heck, thats about what we've spent total on the upper intake, headers, camshaft, computer, fuel injectors, AND the throttle body.  Maybe if I can find a really good deal I'll get one, but otherwise, I'll stick with a regular HO intake.  225hp is plenty for me.

Most of the time you can get them under $200. Heck I would run the Mustang HO speed density, HO cam and explorer intake and it would be more powerful than the mass air with stock meter. My friend did that in his 88 coupe and ran mid 13's. Besides how much more power are you getting with using the HO upper?

James

HO upper intake question

Reply #25
Even $100 on an intake would be pushing it with our budget; I'd really have to see what dad says, but I seriously doubt it.  And with the HO intake, at least it won't choke the 60mm TB with a 55mm opening.  That should be an extra few hp.  Trust me, I really wish I could get a better intake, but HO stuff is enough for me right now.  I'm still in high school and it will be my daily driver.  Maybe later I'll be able to get some better stuff.