Skip to main content
Topic: Theres just something about a thunderbird.... (Read 1960 times) previous topic - next topic

Theres just something about a thunderbird....

That makes people stare! I put the 82 on the road friday for my gf's prom (blew a tire and ended up hitching rides all night anyway :rolleyes: ) And the main thing i've noticed the last couple days is that when I was driving the turbo sprint people would look at the car as it passed but when i'm driving the thunderbird people literally stare as I go by. I've noticed this several times every time I go somewhere in the car. Its by no means in beautiful condition, hell its barely qualifies as decent with the leaky crank seals, rusty fenders, flaking paint revealing the original silver coat and the half vinyl roof that has been torn off and fogged over with spraypaint (a real 20 footer) but people still take notice of it. I cant wait to get it fixed up now, I think that flame has been reignited as I cant stop thinking about what I want and need to get done to that car.

Anyway just an observation of mine, i'm sure you guys know what I mean ;)
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #1
they are probably wondering how many drugs you are selling to pay for the gas to drive it around!!! hahaha

Reply #2
I know what you mean.  The small rust spots in my car are now about the size of a half dollar and I've been wondering if I should bother fixing it, but on Saturday I did some landscape work and the owners 18 year old son came out and said "wow, there is a really cool new car outside."  I didn't think of anything, but Dan, who was working with me said "yeah, it's K-Dubs" so I had to tell him it was almost 20 years old. :)  Then Dan went on to praise the Coug.  "You should see the inside!  It's immaculate."  Put the fire back in me too.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #3
Awsome Scott!  Maybe I can help you some.
One 88

Reply #4
Quote from: Funky Cricket
they are probably wondering how many drugs you are selling to pay for the gas to drive it around!!! hahaha
Actually cruising around the city I get 25mpg with the od and a *mostly light foot :flip:

CougarSE I'll send you a pic

Reply #5
Coming to this forum gave me the flame to get my HO conversion parts instead of a new comp.  A month ago I probably would have done the PC instead.  I know the feelin!!

Reply #6
People are probably thinking, what the frick is that old box? ;)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #7
why you gotta bust balls all the time geez

yup i'm for real

Reply #8
Quote from: Red_LX
People are probably thinking, what the frick is that old box? ;)
I wouldnt doubt it, its got t-bird emblems and a lincoln hood ornament :hick: Theres a few other ones around, a silver one, a black/silver two tone and a red one in really nice shape that havnt come out of hibernation yet and a couple beater cougars of this vintage but they stick out like a sore thumb around all the cavaliers and hondas on the road. The thing I miss most about my 80 is the blue interior, as soon as I have the money for new carpet i'm switching them.

Reply #9
Ya know I honestly couldn't tell ya the last time I saw a "box bird" on the road...hell I hardly even see '87-88's except for beat-up V6's.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
I see more of the box 'Birds on the road around here than the XR-7s.  I've seen about 5 TBirds in the past couple years and 1 XR-7.  None really too beat (I think my XR-7 is the most beat of the bunch).  It's going to be fun to have it on the road (whenever that is).  The way it stands now, it will probably be rocking the 2.3T that is curently in the '83 Bird (since it will be coming out to make way for the X-flow I6).
I'm kind of glad mine is the Recaro package car.  Alot less "" on it...so there will be less to take out ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #11
I wish I could say the same. :( I haven't even seen the ol' girl for three weeks.

Reply #12
People always stare at my Tbird when I drive it around. It's the only nice 87-88 Tbird in the area. On the rare occasion I see another one it's usually rusted out and beat to hell. These cars are approaching 20 years old and getting rare so don't be surprised when you don't even see other ones on the road.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Mine isn't immaculate and shiny, but it's by far one of the nicest Fox Tbirds I've seen around here.  There's one that goes to my school, which is black and has an ugly black painted grill and black wheels, but it's in decent shape.  Every other Tbird I've seen has been beat up.

Reply #14
I'd like to consider mine to be in pretty decent condition, but it has all the signs of a 20 year old car.  Paint on the trunk and roof is oxidizing, headliner is toast, seats are worn out, and it has a leaky rear main seal.  It wasn't too bad up untill recently when I came out of a local venue and noticed that someone had pretty much rammed their car into my driver side quarter panel trying to park.  So there is white pain all over that little piece of trim, and the paint lifted since it dented the panel.  Every time I see it now I just think  my car looks like every other junk T-bird around here.  I've gotten quite a few compliments on it though.