Skip to main content
Topic: Diagnosing ANOTHER No-POST situation... (Read 3213 times) previous topic - next topic

Diagnosing ANOTHER No-POST situation...

Only this time it's my own computer...

I got an email from newegg.com and they were having a sale on a Lite-On DVD burner with Lightscribe for only $40 so I had to have one.  Anyway, it, along with a new keyboard, get here today.

Went along with installing it, took out the old CD-RW drive and put it in place next to my other DVD-RW drive (yes, dual DVD burners is excessive.)  While I was in my computer I noticed that it looked like about a years worth of dust had acspoogemulated in only 4 months time.  So, I proceeded to spray out  the innards with a can of "duster".  It all went well except when I inadvertantly turned the can on its side and it blew that freezing cold liquid into the still-warm power supply. 

I thought nothing of it until I tried to reboot and I got noting.  No beep codes, no post, not even any output to the monitor.  After pulling the plugs on the new drive first, then pulling a few other plugs and trying to at least produce a beep code, I got nothing.  Even pulled the RAM out. 

Next I tried 2 other power supplies and they both produced the same results. I even threw in a separate hard drive and got nothing.

So, the story is, I get a power light, drives spin up, all the fans come on, including the CPU, chipset, case and VGA fans.  Power and reset switches seem to be working.  However, I get no beeps.  I've sort of ruled out the PS because nothing changed when I swapped 2 others in.  I don't think it's the drive because you can't even hear the arm moving around in there.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking I probably have a toasted MB (or maybe a PS?).  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
Taking a wild (probably off-target) shot here - is the MB battery dead? Do computers these days even depend on them anymore? I haven't been into computers since I built mine like 8 years ago. I want some oatmeal.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
Set the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios to default, hit the power button once, then (it shouldn't power on) put the jumper back. See what happens, then post your results.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #3
Let me go dig up a PDF of the manual so I can find the jumper for that and I'll post back as soon as I can.

Reply #4
Ok, the BIOS trick worked to get the computer POSTing again.  Now, however, it seems to hang when it gets to a certain point.  That point is:

During a regular boot- about 1/4 of the way through the Win2k progress bar.

During a Safe Mode boot- at the file mup.sys (I'm thinking of trying to replace that file.)

During a new Win2k Install- Once the blue status bar at the bottom says (Starting Windows 2000).

I can't figure out why it's going so far then hanging.  Doesn't seem like it would be a heat issue, because if it was, it wouldn't be so consistent.

Where do I go next?

EDIT- Update:

Ok, so I did a search on Google of MUP.sys and came up with a few possible solutions including; disabling various BIOS features, removing all USB and/or PCI devices.  I tried and none of these yielded results. 

Could this mobo/CPU really be trashed after only 4 months of use?!?

At this point I'm ready to go further into debt on a new Mobo, CPU and RAM and call it done.

Reply #5
So, I proceeded to spray out the innards with a can of "duster".
Special computer-innards-safe spray, or a generic static-out-the-ying-yang spray?
it blew that freezing cold liquid
Liquid? Inside a computer?????  :nono:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #6
I honestly forget what the name of the product was, but it was designed for the inside of computers, electronics, etc.

Reply #7
Seriously, there's not too much damage that you could've caused by simply getting a little bit of frozen liquid on stuff. Granted i'm pressuming that you realized what you did immediately and stopped. Also try doing a repair install from the windows 2000 disc. That should replace any missing or corrupt files without overwritting any settings.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #8
Yeah try a repair. You could always just reinstall it over itself. Unless that is what a real repair is. I dunno.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Like I said, I haven't even been able to get the Windows installer fully loaded yet.  It hangs right at the "Loading Windows 2000" part. I did start the regular Win2k install while the version I have installed is "Server".  I can't see how this would make a difference, but again, it might be worth a try. (The CD I have  has w variations of Win2k on it).

Reply #10
Brian, the problems you are describing sound like a power supply issue.  Now that you have the machine up and running, try a known good power supply.  Not one that just powers up but one that you know will run a computer for hours without a hickup.
One 88

Reply #11
I only have one other power supply that has the extra power cord neccessarry to run the newer P4/Athlon boards.  I'm not sure of it's condition, but it powers the computer up but still produces the exact same results.

I give up.  I'll just buy new everything.

Reply #12
Ok, $80 and a new power supply later and I'm no further ahead.  It still hangs no matter what I do. 

I even bought a tester for the PS and they all 3 check out good.

What now, new mobo? CPU?  This is getting essssspensive, Lucy!

Reply #13
sounds more like a bad hard drive or something like that to me. Try a format on the hard drive on  diffrent computer. Also, ditch everything. Such as agp video card if it has a built in one,ect. I am still betting on a bad sector of the hard drive. if you have another hard drive you can just throw in try that.

IF it isnt that, I am not sure really.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
I can't ditch the video card because it has a PCI-e style and no other ports that I could put a vid card in. 

If I get adventurous I might swap in an entirely separate mobo and see if it will boot with that.  If so, that narrows it down to CPU or mobo, I think.