Skip to main content
Topic: If I had $7,000 (Read 1589 times) previous topic - next topic

If I had $7,000

I'd buy this :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Ford-Thunderbird-Two-Door-Landau_W0QQitemZ4628876035QQcategoryZ6240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah call me nuts but for some reason I've always loved the styling on the 70-71 Tbirds. I have a soft spot in my heart for the unloved 67-71 Thunderbirds, and their 429s;) .
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

If I had $7,000

Reply #1
That really IS a beautiful car. I've always liked the styling of the back end.

If I had $7,000

Reply #2
That thing is sweet.  I'd buy it too if I had 7k.  That motor, is that a Cobra Jet that they just called a Thunder Jet because it's in a T-bird, or is there actually a difference between the two?

If I had $7,000

Reply #3
Quote from: baXo
That really IS a beautiful car. I've always liked the styling of the back end.

Agreed. I'm not a big fan of that bulbous snout, though. Anyway, very nice bird.

Can anyone tell me what the functions of that overhead console are?

If I had $7,000

Reply #4
That motor, is that a Cobra Jet that they just called a Thunder Jet because it's in a T-bird, or is there actually a difference between the two?

The Thunderjet was a slightly more powerful version of the passenger car (ie: Galaxy) 429. I believe it had Cobra Jet heads but it had a smaller cam and a different intake and carb.

I found another one. A 1975 Tbird. While it's not quite my style it's  clean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Copper-Luxury-Edition-Barrett-Jackson-Quality_W0QQitemZ4631617315QQcategoryZ6240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

If I had $7,000

Reply #5
Can anyone tell me what the functions of that overhead console are?

That's where they put the "idiot" lights. The fasten bealts, door ajar, low fuel, and check engine lights were up there.

If I had $7,000

Reply #6
The 429 that was in my '70 Tbird had the D0VE(-C?) heads.

Wasn't ABS an option in like '75 or '76?

If I had $7,000

Reply #7
So what were the horsepower figures on those '70-71 429 cars?

Call me crazy, but I think it would be fun to get one of those old big block barges and play around with it. I saw a '75 T-bird some years ago that had been pro-streeted and it was pretty  cool.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

If I had $7,000

Reply #8
365hp

If I had $7,000

Reply #9
Call me crazy, but I think it would be fun to get one of those old big block barges and play around with it.

Oh I'd love to take a 70-71 and drop a 514 Cobra Jet in it. I don't know how fast it would be (it weighs about 4,500 lbs) but that 500+hp should scoot it along nicely:D . Can you imagine beating a Trans Am or GTO at the drag strip with a 71 Tbird:giggle:

If I had $7,000

Reply #10
Quote from: DakotaEpic
That thing is sweet.  I'd buy it too if I had 7k.  That motor, is that a Cobra Jet that they just called a Thunder Jet because it's in a T-bird, or is there actually a difference between the two?

Sorry dude thats wrong....

Quote from: thunderjet302
The Thunderjet was a slightly more powerful version of the passenger car (ie: Galaxy) 429. I believe it had Cobra Jet heads but it had a smaller cam and a different intake and carb.

Nope wrong answer....

The Thunder Jet was the tiny electric motor in the Auroura slot cars.... OH ... WRONG T-Jet...

The 429 TJ is the EXACT same engine that was available in the Full size Fords and Mercs '69-'71(and T-bird begnning in '68). They had fairly good heads(but nowhere nearly as good as the Cobra Jet), a wimpy cam, restrive exaust manifolds, pipes, lers, etc. The 365hp figure is a gross reading with engine on a dyno with FREE breathing headers, and NO accesories(not even the water pump). Installed in the car they were churning out MAYBE 250 flywheel hp(prob no more than 210 at the wheels), with the weight of the Bird they were peppy but not exactly a terror...

BTW in '72 the HP rating changed from gross to net(as installed in vehicle). Also compression ratios were lowered to run on low/no lead fuel. Anyway the net HP dropped from 360 hp to 212, wheel hp would be probably 180. Welcome to the dismal 70s... From that point, till the 5.0 Mustang GT was introduced in '82, things sucked pretty badly at the Ford Camps...

If I had $7,000

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302
Oh I'd love to take a 70-71 and drop a 514 Cobra Jet in it. I don't know how fast it would be (it weighs about 4,500 lbs) but that 500+hp should scoot it along nicely:D . Can you imagine beating a Trans Am or GTO at the drag strip with a 71 Tbird:giggle:

I'm thinking dual tunnel ram ;)

I think I like the looks of that '75 more than the '71, though.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

If I had $7,000

Reply #12
Quote from: Red_LX

Liking any tbird's looks from '70-'82 is definitely an aquired taste IMHO.  Don't get me wrong, I'd pimp any of them, but because they are old school tbirds.  :hick:

If I had $7,000

Reply #13
The 429 TJ is the EXACT same engine that was available in the Full size Fords and Mercs '69-'71(and T-bird begnning in '68). They had fairly good heads(but nowhere nearly as good as the Cobra Jet), a wimpy cam, restrive exaust manifolds, pipes, lers, etc. The 365hp figure is a gross reading with engine on a dyno with FREE breathing headers, and NO accesories(not even the water pump). Installed in the car they were churning out MAYBE 250 flywheel hp(prob no more than 210 at the wheels), with the weight of the Bird they were peppy but not exactly a terror...

The guy in my Tbird club lied to me then. He said they were different. Thanks for setting me straight TurboCoupe50:bowdown: .

I'm thinking dual tunnel ram;) 

Today 05:20 PM

I still like the 70-71 better :D . I don't know about a tunnel ram. I like the sleeper look.

Liking any tbird's looks from '70-'82 is definitely an aquired taste IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'd pimp any of them, but because they are old school tbirds. :hick:

Actually I don't dislike any of the styling the Tbird has had over the years. They are all unique and Tbirdish;)

If I had $7,000

Reply #14
Hmmm...

Well, they're both pretty decent...I think I favor the '75 still though.

I would like to see both cars with some nice aftermarket wheels, lowered a bit, with the vinyl tops pitched, and do some engine work. I think with a little going-over, either one could make a sweet cruiser that would make everyone do a double-take.

Too bad you'd still be stuck with those gross 70's interiors though. The front seats in that '75 look like La-Z-Boys :giggle:

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip