Skip to main content
Topic: Cluster swap wiring question, help needed (Read 2969 times) previous topic - next topic

Cluster swap wiring question, help needed

Reply #15
Yes, they go to the same circuit (ignition feed). If you have the full digital there's a third light blue/pink wire from the ECM (fuel flow signal for tripminder)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #16
From my own experiance, and my mistake.  You should right down what colors go where on the old connectors. (too late this time)  My car being an 88, and i'm starting to think it was one of the last ones made; only about half of the wires matched up to carmens diagrams.  I had to go through with a multi meter and probe a few of the wires.  My turn signal wires, high beam indicator and a few others didn't match.  Those are the easy ones to find.  My inputs for my guages did match up though.
One 88

Reply #17
Quote from: CougarSE
From my own experiance, and my mistake.  You should right down what colors go where on the old connectors. (too late this time)  My car being an 88, and i'm starting to think it was one of the last ones made; only about half of the wires matched up to carmens diagrams.  I had to go through with a multi meter and probe a few of the wires.  My turn signal wires, high beam indicator and a few others didn't match.  Those are the easy ones to find.  My inputs for my guages did match up though.

When it comes to anything on these cars, the wire's position in the plug is far more important than the color of the wires. Ford was many things in the 80's - consistent was not one of them. The EVTM may tell you to look for a blue wire, but the wire might be red on the car. However, if the EVTM tells you to look for a wire in terminal 6, that wire will be in terminal 6. It might not be the right color, but it'll be there. I found this out when doing my tripminder instalation ;)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #18
Yeah...what Carm said. ;)

That's also why I put down circuit numbers in my instructions: to show that the wiring color may change, but the circuit number won't. The only way it could is if Ford changed the flexible circuit board on the back of the cluster...which they easily could have, but I've not found that to be the case. Therefore, follow the circuit numbers and you'll be alright in most situations.

Reply #19
Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it. As you can see from the attched pics that it will be a little while before I can see how it works.

Reply #20
Here are a couple of more pics...She is going in for the paint/bodywork at the end of April:D . Engine has been complete for a while and the tranny is in getting rebuilt as i write this. The car only had 85000km(50k miles) on it when i got it and the interior was literally mint. It just sat since late 1993 and never moved in 13 or so years. My baby!

Reply #21
Hey buddy your cruise control servo is showing...:D
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #22
oops sorry thanks:tetas:

Reply #23
I just got a quick question about your interior..:
Did it come in grey, like pictured, or did you swap it? I've never seen a Base/LX "bird with grey interior, and maroon ext.
TC, yes, but not the other models...

Looks like you're makin progress, too, but with not engine, how ya gonna test your new cluster?? lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #24
Never mind.

Reply #25
The interior is grey from the factory, the only thing i have replaced in the interior is the carpet(factory color) thats in it temporarily, just checking fit and I am going to take it out when it goes for paint. I have had a few coments about the interior... it has grey dual power seats w/power recline etc, as well as grey everything else. The pics of the seats dont do any justice as they are like brand new just need a bit of a shampooing.

Reply #26
Power recline seats, nice.
One 88

Reply #27
no cracks in dash, nicer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #28
Finding this info, all over again, 6 years later...nicest. ;)

Will come in handy tomorrow.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)