Skip to main content
Topic: 460 Or 4.6l Police Interceptor? (Read 3184 times) previous topic - next topic

460 Or 4.6l Police Interceptor?

Reply #15
rember, when building a mod motor, parts are very expensive, and one thing that realy gets me, you just dont buy one cam, you buy 2 or 4 $$$... heads are expensive, intakes are expensive. hell... if you go to a swap meet, you could probley build up a  460 for a few  hundred $$$.

Reply #16
And the engines out of Police Interceptors (Crown Vics) are just a plane Jane 4.6.  They aren't suped up or anything.  Ask ThunderChicken, he works on them, he'll tell you how normal of an engine they are.

Reply #17
Quote from: DakotaEpic
And the engines out of Police Interceptors (Crown Vics) are just a plane Jane 4.6.  They aren't suped up or anything.  Ask ThunderChicken, he works on them, he'll tell you how normal of an engine they are.

Werd. "Police Interceptor" hasn't meant anything engine-wise since the 60's or 70's. Even the PI Mustangs from the late 80's were nothing more than regular 5.0 LX's with blue cooling hoses. There were a few Police Interceptor cars that had better engines than their civvy counterparts (mid 80's LTD with its CFI "HO" 5.0 and the late 80's Crown Vic with its 351) but the engines themselves were certainly nothing spectacular.

Now, you may be referring to the "Performance Improved" 4.6 engine of the late 90's to present. These engines have better heads, cams and intakes when compared to non-PI 4.6's but the "PI" 4.6 still only produced 265 horses in its best factory form (Bullitt Mustang). A properly built 460 should be able to better that with four spark plugs removed :hick:

Regardless, any 4.6 is going to be a dog in your two-ton '73 T-Bird. Even a DOHC version will have trouble moving all that metal - just ask any Marauder owner. You could of course get a Terminator engine (03-04 Cobra) but for that kind of money you could probably build four or five 400+ horse 460's...

As for the 5.8, why bother? You've already got a 460 in the car, and with some simple upgrades (cam, intake, carb) you'll make plenty of power. Any stock 5.8 would require the same upgrades and then some, and still wouldn't keep up with a 460 with similar mods. The '73 T-Bird is a big car and requires a big engine.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #18
Quote from: OLDCARMAN
What Has The Most Power, A Bored Out 460 Or A Souped Up 4.6 Or 5.8? But Either Way Would I Have To Re-do So Much To Put A 4.6 Or 5.8 When There Was A 460 First?
\

460 all the way.    dont waste your time on a 4.SICK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #19
Also, when you build a 460, make sure to get an early model (pre-1972 I think it is?) timing chain....ALL timing chains after that year come from the factory set at 8 degrees retarded, which kills your power.

Anyway, by all means, build the 460 if you have one! You can make 300 hp with a 460 with what, an RV cam and some headers? 4.6's are just not good enough for what they cost to build one for an earlier model car where you have better options.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #20
yeah, a 460 would kill almost any mod motor, you would prolly have to do alot of work just to compair a mod motor to a 460. The 460 would do alot better at pulling a 5000lb car. Think about, 7.5 liter engine, or 4.6. Which sounds better?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
honestly, id stay away from a modular. i know it sounds hypicritical being as its what im going with. if you are looking for a torque monster stick with a pushrod engine anyway. the easy way to ge tthe torque back in a 4.6 is with a pos. dis. blower like the 03-04 cobras. your looking at and easy 6-7K+ on average for one of those. the NA 4.6 dohc is very much different as far as the torque curve goes. a stock 5.0 HO is MUCH torquier down low than they are. the 99' up 4.6 "PI" sohc engines are much better than the NA dohc engines as well. i personally think the 460 sucks and is better served as a boat anchor. take that with a grain of salt though. ive loved the 4.6 dohc from the moment i first drove my mark viii. most people around here hate em'. i think they are much better suited on the street than a torque monster of any kind. of course, i couldnt care less what my car will run or how fast it is as long as its fun. my mark viii was fun enough for me. the tbird should be better with more hp, more gear and a stick in a somewhat lighter car. who knows...it will probably suck anyway. well find out in a month or so. hopefully.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #22
Shame, you're not being hypocritical.  You're car weighs substantially less than a '73.  Overhead cam motors are more pr0ne to having their power higher in the RPM range.  For a rather large car such as the '73 you want cubes and pushrods. 

Do up that 460.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #23
Quote from: shame302
i personally think the 460 sucks and is better served as a boat anchor. take that with a grain of salt though.

why? the 385 series is a great engine. can be built to high hp for not much cash outlay. it may be heavy but it is a powerhouse. just wanting to know your reason
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #24
why? the 385 series is a great engine. can be built to high hp for not much cash outlay. it may be heavy but it is a powerhouse. just wanting to know your reason

i dont realy know. could be out of sheer ignorance. they could be a great engine. they are just not my thing. i can think of better ways to get 11mpg. anything i ever drove with one was a total dog. sure they have alot of TQ but they are huge, heavy and very un effecient. not much of an issue for a quarter mile car but i think that there are better choices for a street car. just because an engine puts down a ton of TQ doesnt make it a great engine.

i also understand a 73' is a huge car and will require alot of TQ so i agree that 460s the better way to go all around. weight isnt an issue. no matter what you put in that thing fuel ecconomy isnt going to be much of an issue. its begging for a big block.

however....HP/TQ/efficiency to HP/TQ/efficiency i think the 4.6 is a much better engine.

~John~

Reply #25
If you drove vehicles with factory stock 460's in em, then no wonder you thought they were dogs, because they were. To my knowledge there was never a good-performing 460 produced. 460's came into being in the smog years and were either put into big land barge cars, or trucks, so they never made much over 220 hp from the factory.

However, I have an old issue of car craft where they compared several buildups they did on big blocks...they built a 530-some hp 460 for $5300, and it even eked out a slightly better horsepower-per-dollar return than the BBC, believe it or not.

I also have an issue of Hot Rod that has a little blurb about some 460 they built that had stock everything except the cam, intake, carb and headers, and it made 400 hp.

The 460 (and 429) don't have as many speed parts available as big block chevy's, but you can sure as hell still make good power with a 460.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #26
the thruth of it all is you can make just about anything fast/powerfull. its just a matter of finding what makes your pants tight.....

~John~

Reply #28
Quote from: Red_LX
The 460 (and 429) don't have as many speed parts available as big block chevy's, but you can sure as hell still make good power with a 460.

last time i checked there was a pretty good aftermarket for them you just got to know were to look.

:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #29
But there's still not near as much as for a BBC...that was my point.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip